No announcement yet.

Marshall , Mesa Boogie or Laney cabs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall , Mesa Boogie or Laney cabs.

i have owned both mesa traditional rec cab and oversized, sold them both. The traditional was my fav but as said before sound really dark Depending on my style of music will determine which cab i grab now, for rock tones i grab my marshall with greenbacks, for old metal i grab my marshall JCM800 with 75's, for modern metal/hard rock i grab my bogner cab with the X of v30's and 75's. with the X pattern the V30s are more dominent in sound of the cabinet.

I dont know about the newer marshall cabs, but the ones i have sound great, one is from the 80's and one is from year 2000. i also have a 1977 with black backs but i am putting that up for sale soon.

I also have a older mesa with metal grill front, right now it has celestion 30 watters but it is not wired up, it also has half back but i want to close it off and will eventually.

Now with all that being said, comparing a mesa v30 cab to a marshall 75 cab is like comparing apples to oranges. If you want to compare grab a cab with both V30's or get a mesa cab and install 75's and then you can do a proper test.

Comment

I use a rectifier cab loaded with Naylors and an old crate cab that is all plywood loaded with the same speakers. Using them with the SLO and it does not sound dark with this head. The speakers were in the rectifier when I got it from WarriorX7. I had thought about changing the speakers to V30's but the Naylors sound great.

Comment

Hmmm... My Mesa Traditional 4x12 is a pretty bright cab to my ears. I use alot of mids (dimed actually) so maybe that's why.

Comment

well dimed mid's would explain it. I am really digging my bogner uber cab, great sounding cab

Comment

Thanks ofr teh replays.

Comment

+1 on the Mesa being too dark and cumbersome to carry. The new Marshalls are pressboard-stay away. The Laney cabs don't have enough physical depth to do the job as intended.

I would get a Splawn; do it once and do it right:
              http://www.splawnguitars.com/custenclos.htm

The Eminence Redcoats that they come with sound great.

Comment

Bogner 4X12 is simply the best. Expensive, but def worth it. Splawn cab is a good one as well.

Comment

When did they start pressboarding marshall cabs?

Comment

one halfway related question: i'm able to trade my old trusty laney 412 cab (i don't know the exact model....it has the H&H speakers, and is either 4/16ohm mono or 8 ohm stereo) and a small amount of cash for a marshall 1936 212. should i go for it? the marshall has the 75w celestions, a speaker that i tend to like a lot - i much prefer the 1960A/B over the AV/BV. this cab is only for home use, i don't take it on the road, and for rehearsal i still have a 1960 fullstack. will the 1936 be less loud than the 412 for home use?

Comment

Check out a VHT cab with Eminence P50E speakers. I compared a VHT cab with a Mesa recto cab (vintage 30's), marshall 1960's cabs (one with greenbacks and one with the G12T-75) They are pretty nice cabs if you use the right head. I haven't heard them with a marshall head, but it definately made a night and day difference with my ultralead and my friend's 50cl.

Comment

bump, for abovementioned question.
                        should i trade the laney 412 for a marshall 1936, or the laney and some cash for a mesa thiele 1x12 cab - for home use only

Comment

Working...
                        X