Any Line6 Toneport Users? Got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Line6 Toneport Users? Got a question

The wife just bought me one for Christmas, and I'm frustrated already. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm not getting any sound output from the PC speakers. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Can't figure out why. Anyone?

I'm sure this is something simple - probably a set-up issue - but I haven't tried PC recording in several years, and this is all new "again". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And Line6's manual and help function ain't much help. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

(BTW, the unit is working fine. I'm getting levels from the instrument fine. And if I plug in a set of headphones, I can hear everything great. And, no, the PC speakers are not off nor muted. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Re: Any Line6 Toneport Users? Got a question

If it's like the GuitarPort then you have to plug your speakers into the unit. I used to run the l/r outs back into the line in of my sound card.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Seriously? I thought of this. Maybe you're right. (...Can't try this with my current speaker set-up, though. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] )

But WTF would you have to plug the unit's "outs" back into your speakers, if the signal is coming out of the PC to begin with? i.e., Out of the PC, only to go back into the PC? If so, that's very retarded design.

Comment

Agreed, it's a retarted design. The thinking seemed to be that you would just plug your speakers into the Guitarport instead of your PC and it became your default sound card. I didn't like that since I have digital speakers and wanted to use my sound card. There may be a better way around it but that is what I ended up doing.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I just got the Toneport like a week ago from a friend of mine. Originally I was getting the Live 4.1.5 recording software sounds to come out of the speakers, the guitar sounds out of the Gear Box were only coming out of the headphones. I think I messed with some settings, and now I only get both sounds out of just the headphones... so what I did was take an old pair of speakers from my old computer, plug them into the headphone jack and now I get the guitar and software sounds both coming out of there.
          And my regular PC speakers are hooked up via USB, but they now just work separately and give me all my other normal PC sounds, I just can't figure out how to get them working with the Toneport stuff. Oh well, at least the old speakers are working fine through the headphone jack. I'm just too lazy to read through the lame manual and see if there's any other settings to fix it. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You are in theory supposed to go out of the tone port into speakers. The tone ports acts as your soundcard to prevent you processor form using resource.

You can go out from the toneport into your soundcard input Pat..that's the way I have mine set up .

If you need help drop me a pm
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

PM sent, Kev. Thanks in advance for the help.

As I look into this more - and competitor's products for alternatives [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - it seems to me that most of these types of products are primarily oriented towards laptop users. i.e., Crappy speakers, if any at all, and less robust processor resources, as compared to desktop PCs. So, as Kev mentions, they use the external device (Toneport) as the soundcard and assume you're connecting from there to an external set of speakers.

IMHO, that's quite ass-backwards. It basically ignores desktop PC users as customers or, at the very least, treats them like second class citizens. That's probably - what? - 60+% of computer users? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This could've been a simple software setting option and I wouldn't have to be dealing with this nonsense and/or buying a completely different set of cheapo speakers for this sole purpose. Nothing ruins a new gear experience more than hassles like this. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Oh well, I'll see if/how the line-in works before jumping the gun. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe the idea is to remove latency from the recording process by enabling 'direct monitoring'.
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I believe the idea is to remove latency from the recording process by enabling 'direct monitoring'.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I understand the idea. ...Doesn't mean I have to like it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Finally got this working well. Kick ass! Despite the early tech issues, I'm digging it now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm digging mine, too. I just can't figure out how to make MP3s to post. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Guess I should probably dig a little further into the manual a learn a little more, huh?
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i got one for christmas too, havent got the chance to try it out yet, not until the second or the third of january. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                          www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

DOes anyone know if Guitarport files will work with these?

Comment

Working...
                            X