Mixing different wattage speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing different wattage speakers?

I want to replace two of the speakers in my Crate 4x12. The St. Louis Music/Crate speakers are pretty good, but a little too bright for me. They're 8 ohms, and I guess they're 30 watts a piece considering the cab says it handles 120 watts. Right now I'm thinking of replacing just two of them with either a pair of Eminence or Celestion that are of a higher wattage. Would that be a problem to mix and match the wattages like that?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Mixing different wattage speakers?

shouldn't hurt anything... other than the fact that your lower watt speakers are going to blow first. If they took the volumes before without blowing, I don't think you're going to have a problem.

Pete

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Pete!

Comment

basically you should use the lower wattage speaker when figuring out the total wattage of your cab. Example if you have two 30 watt speakers and two 60 watt speakers, just consider all 4 speakers 30 watters.

Comment

depending on the efficiency of the speakers, you may hear much more of one type than the other, as well

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              depending on the efficiency of the speakers, you may hear much more of one type than the other, as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree'd, i have a bogner cab with 75's and 30's, at lower volume the 30's stand out more, as you start to raise the volume then you start to hear the 75's come into play.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, look at the spl's.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree'd, i have a bogner cab with 75's and 30's, at lower volume the 30's stand out more, as you start to raise the volume then you start to hear the 75's come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Oh yeah, a lot of people seemed to use the G12T75s and V30s together in an X pattern with good results. The 30s are 60 watts and the 75s are, of course, 75 watts.
                  I just won a pair of Eminence Texas Heat speakers off ebay, but I just realized they're 150 watts! Might be a little overpowering to the 30w Crates. Maybe I'll upgrade the other two eventually.

Comment

The wattage isn't volume - it's just how much power the speakers can take. The real measure of volume is spl... you'll be ok.

Pete

Comment

Gotcha!

Comment

aye, just make sure they're the same ohm rating and rate the cab using the lowest wattage as mentioned,
                        cheers

Comment

Yeah, the cab is 8 ohms, and all of its speakers are 8 ohms. The two new speakers I'm getting I made sure were also 8 ohms. I'll just make sure to take the wire connectors off the old ones and put them on the new ones the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X