Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a Voodoo Mod for my TSL

Happy New Year!

I have a TSL60 that I like. It's my only amp, and it sounds decent, but I think it could sound better. I like the clean channel (so much so that I sold my Fender Super Reverb RI), and use the other channels for blues and 80s rock stuff -- Van Halen, Dokken, nothing heavier that Metallica.

I'm thinking of getting it modded by Voodoo Amps. Has anyone had any experiences with getting this mod done? The clips on the site sound pretty good. I would like the versatility of the semi-distorted sounds for the blues kept in the amp as well. I don't need an all-out gain machine all the time. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    =Mark

Re: Thinking about a Voodoo Mod for my TSL

Hey Mark, I dont have anything modded by voodoo,but I have seen alot of them go up for sale. A friend of mine bought a voodoo modded Marshall and said it was horrible. I have talked to Trace a few times and he is a real nice guy and his customer service is great. Im just not impressed by his mods. Then again you might love them. I know that clips dont really do any justice, but my friend that had one really has a great ear for tone and he said it was very thin and brittle.

Comment

Not sure if Scott Splawn can Mod a TSL? Maybe worth a call. His amps and mods on the JMP, JCM & Re-issues kick Butt.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hey Mark, I dont have anything modded by voodoo,but I have seen alot of them go up for sale. A friend of mine bought a voodoo modded Marshall and said it was horrible. I have talked to Trace a few times and he is a real nice guy and his customer service is great. Im just not impressed by his mods. Then again you might love them. I know that clips dont really do any justice, but my friend that had one really has a great ear for tone and he said it was very thin and brittle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a Mark Cameron reference in your sig. Does he have a webpage?

-Mark

Comment

You have a Mark Cameron reference in your sig. Does he have a webpage

Not anymore. You guys know my opinion on who does the best mods. Cameron wont mod what you have, but if you sell it and pick up a jmp or jcm or a plexi he will work wonders for you. I have 3 Camerons and I have never heard anything come close to them.
          I can put you in contact with him if you want. He is a great guy, but just be prepared to wait for him to get to your amp. Thats the only downfall is his waiting time.

Comment

One thing about Trace also is that he does custom mods - you can tell him specific albums or tones and he can get them for you. Might want to talk to him about what you specifically want... I've also seen him turn mods down if he couldn't do it. He's a great guy - I've owned a witchdoctor and Hex heads, both were killer but only one channel.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Mark, except for his turnaround time.

Pete

Comment

I've had a tsl122 for a few years and I am not sure if it reallhy needs any mods... It is a very good amp, with its own sound plus traditional Marshall sound as well. Unless you want a specific sound which this amp is not capable of, but then possibly a different amp would be better? I got a Mark IV to complement the TSL and they go together very nicely, non of them is capable of the territory the other one is covering. I would get a VHT UL, a Soldano (Decatone or SLO) and a CAE OD-100 - this would be all I 'ever' need. Keep in mind that modding an amp will change it, so doing this only makes sense if you have a very strong sense for a particular sound you can't get with other amps and feel you will be able to achieve it with the mod.

Comment

I offer mods for the DSL/TSL Marshalls also.
                Jerry
                FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

"I offer mods for the DSL/TSL Marshalls also"
                  Jerry, what do these mods do do the TSL? I never heard a modded TSL, so I really don't have a clue why would you mod it. I'm curious, and would appriciate some insight into this.
                  Regards,
                  Alex

Comment

to me, the tsl100 sounds decent without any mods...but that's just me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've heard that all amps that come back from Voodoo end up sounding strangely similar... as if they were gutted and rebuilt.

I'd send it to Jerry! I'm insanely happy with my FJA Modded 5150.

Comment

The other guitar player in my band has a Voodoo modded DSL as well as a Voodoo modded 5150. I was never a big fan of either amp, but both came back from Trace sounding killer!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          "I offer mods for the DSL/TSL Marshalls also"
                          Jerry, what do these mods do do the TSL? I never heard a modded TSL, so I really don't have a clue why would you mod it. I'm curious, and would appriciate some insight into this.
                          Regards,
                          Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard TSL/DSL mod fattens the tone up. I give it a meatier tone with more clarity and definition. I can mod it based on your requests also.
                          Jerry
                          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Jerry,
                            so what is the essence of the mod? Changing caps and resistor values? Or changing schematics, additional tubes, diode group etc? Changing the voltages for the pre and power tubes? Changing the transformers?
                            I wanted to understand what to expect. Based on my amp experience, I would not say it is not clear even in comparison to a Soldano amp, and certainly much more clear than a Rectifier amp.

Comment

Ops, typo - should read: "I would not say it is CLEAR even in comparison to a Soldano amp, and certainly much more clear than a Rectifier amp"

Comment

Working...
                              X