should i sell my jcm800 for a vetta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i sell my jcm800 for a vetta?

ok guys this is the deal. i'm an amp whore. if i had the cash there'd be 20 amps in my house, totally in contrast to guitars which i'm not very interested in (thank god). right now i'm down to just the jcm800 2210 split channel marshall (drake transformers, 1987 model, very clean) and a block letter peavey 5150 which i just retubed. the 5150 is exactly what i need for my band....reliable, loud, sounds exactly the way my band needs it, and has two distorted channels for rhythm/lead. it might not be *THE* sound, but it's very decent.
    and that's exactly the thing....i like COUNTLESS sounds. i cannot decide on just one. i could have the very best sound ever coming out of my cab, and the next second i'd be like "ok, maybe i can get a nice nevermore-ish sound out of it, too" and there i go again. sometimes i just want to jam to e.g. kreator and want to get as close as possible to their sound.

to put it in a nutshell...i'm VERY sure i'll keep the 5150 around, for band use. my question is, should i sell the ole marshall for a vetta? the vetta is supposed to be the best modeling head that's available right now, and with all the features it would certainly keep me busy, and i guess it's possible to at least approximate all the sounds (which are basically metal only btw) i like - just for home use.

a brand new vetta II retails at 2000 euro. too much. period.
    as a matter of fact...there's a vetta I with the 2.03 software @ the 'bay right now...asking 890 euro starting price of 1050 BIN. couple that with the fact that jcm800 prices are VERY high right now (the "cheap" split channel heads go for as high as 800 euro all day long, and i've seen single channel 2203 heads being sold for 1300 euro) and we're basically talking about a trade here, although that's quite a steal, normally the vetta heads go for like 1300 i think.

so....whaddaya think? is this reasonable? the thing is, in the long run i cannot afford swapping a dozen amps per year, and i don't really want to sell any of the amps i own right now...the 5150 because i like it a lot, the marshall because it's a goddamn classic...on the other hand, maybe the vetta would give me 95% of that 2210 tone, AND a gazillion more?

thanks
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%

Re: should i sell my jcm800 for a vetta?

NO.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I voted no.

I bet you would regret that move.
      Even if the Vetta does indeed get 95% of the Marshall tone, you'll dearly miss the remaining last 5%.
      5% of original real-tube tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Don't do it. You will regret it! I almost made the same mistake.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I voted yes because you and I are in the same boat.
          I have a Sildano based rig that I am totally happy with. I have done 3 gigs with it and I couldn't be happier. It kills and is EXACTLY what I need for my band.
          With that said.. (this will sound like you)... I am an amp whore too. The Vetta is perfect for the guitarist who craves tons of different guitar tones.
          For instance, my favorite amp brand is Matchless and I love the Marshall Silver Jubilee. With the Vetta.. I can have both (and at the same time if I want).
          I also love SRV and Eric Johnson's guitar tones but occasionally like to get that dead on Satriani tone too.
          The Vetta comes through again. Is it 100% accurate? I couldn't tell you. I don't own a Matchless, a JSX or several stacked up vintage Fender amps. Eric Johnson uses a mix of old Marshall JCM's and Fender amps live. I don't have them either but with the Vetta at least I have an EXTREMELY good representation of them. Side by side you could most likely tell the difference which is cool for me because I will never have 20 high end boutique rare vintage amps laying around the house. The Vetta is the answer for the amp whore who doesn't have unlimited finances.
          At least for me it is. The only time I open my Soldano road case is for gigs. Currently it is in the recording studio but we have decided to use the Vetta too along with a 5150, 5150II and a new Marshall DSL to record our new record.

Comment

no...wish I still had one of my 2210s.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Keep the somewhat irreplaceable Marshall, save up and buy a Vetta if you want one that bad. That way when you sell the Vetta, you'll still have a good amp that would be hard to come by again.

Comment

yeah...5150s are a little easier to come by than 2210s..especially a nice one..and they are getting harder and harder to find ..they will never lose their value.

I seen Vettas already go for about 500-600 bucks already..you'll loose your ass on it..

what John said! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Keep the somewhat irreplaceable Marshall, save up and buy a Vetta if you want one that bad. That way when you sell the Vetta, you'll still have a good amp that would be hard to come by again.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

The Vetta is awesome, but it's in no way a replacement for pure tube tone. I love my Vetta, but I also have my Mesa Stiletto which I love. THe Vetta is great for gigs for me, but when I want pure in your face tube tone, I have the Mesa. I wish I had my Marshall 2205 that I sold years ago. Thats probably the single biggest regret I have as far as selling gear.

Unfortunately the only way to go to be completely happy is to have both IMO.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

If we are talking about current resale value and future resale value... KEEP THE 2210!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    No question... end of story.
                    It will continue to increase in value and never stop.
                    The Vetta will continue to decrease until it finally hits its low point (probably around $700.00 tops).

I didn't buy my Vetta for resale value. I bought it because I am an amp whore.
                    Bill has his Uber. He needs no other amp. I have my Soldano. I am 100% happy. I do occassionally have the need for the "Uber" tone. With the Vetta, I pretty much have it. Its not exactly the same but I'm not complaining.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

The Vetta is awesome, but it's in no way a replacement for pure tube tone. I love my Vetta, but I also have my Mesa Stiletto which I love. THe Vetta is great for gigs for me, but when I want pure in your face tube tone, I have the Mesa. I wish I had my Marshall 2205 that I sold years ago. Thats probably the single biggest regret I have as far as selling gear.

Unfortunately the only way to go to be completely happy is to have both IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure Jim, but if he isn't using the 2210 and craves several other amp tones I say why not.
                      The 2210 is a great amp but its not the end all of Marshalls.
                      You are the perfect example really. You have a Stiletto which feeds your tube "need". You also have a Vetta for all the other amps you wish you had.
                      I have a Soldano for my tube "need". If I owned another high end tube amp I would still use my Soldano live. It sounds to me like he is really digging his 5150 block letter amp because it is giving him exactly what he needs for his band but it doesn't fill the need that an amp whore has when he wants tons of other amp tones.
                      The 2210 is the better value, the better resale value, the better investment and it will do a Marshall tone much better than a Vetta will.
                      What it won't do is EVERYTHING else an amp whore craves.

Comment

horns, these are US prices. they're quite different in europe. a vetta (or any high end line 6 for that matter) is very hard to come by @ german ebay, and if so, it's nowhere near 600$ or €.
                        the jcm800 series is quite popular, though, actually there are many more 800s than 5150s available. my 5150 was 150 euro more than the 800, BEFORE the retube.

", save up and buy a Vetta if you want one that bad"
                        sorry, my post was misleading there. i don't have to opportunity to trade the marshall for the vetta. i'd have to buy the vetta @ ebay (i have the money btw, i could as well keep 3 amps around if i had to) and then put the marshall on the bay. having that said, i don't have to do that immediately...i could as well re-sell the vetta. the reason why i'm thinking about selling the marshall in favour of the vetta is that i don't really want to have 3 amps...i mean, i just bought me a nice new guitar a week ago which was like 750 euro after changing the pickups buying a case etc.

as for the 2210 itself, i'm having mixed feelings right now. it has some REALLY old tubes plugged in which sound amazing (although í don't like it quite as much as the 5150). i didn't retube it completly, but i swapped around some other v1 tubs just for fun, e.g. JJs, EH, sovtek, GT, svetlana, and ALL of them made the marshall a lot more...honky. with the old preamp tube, it's balanced, bright yet smooth, good bass and highs, and the mids can be pulled back to a reasonable level. with any new tube, it has a LOT more mids even when scooped to hell. maybe it's because i'm mixing a brand new v1 with old other preamp tubes, but if current production tubes make the marshall sound like that, i don't want to keep it around anyways....i'm afraid that when the old v1 dies, the marshall won't be the same again if you know what i'm talking about...

edit: as for the lack of raw pure tube tone....i'd still have the 5150 which i like a lot. and as i already said, the marshall wouldn't be gone immediately...i might keep it around, although i don't really like the idea of again having 3 amps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Seems like your mind is already made up, so why bother asking? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'd really say keep the Marshall, but I have a feeling things will turn out otherwise.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

whassup Fragile..

hey man, I didn't take you living in Germany in consideration..

sorry man...just my perspective from my little nook on the globe..

I tried a Vetta..I liked it...didn't get it up loud enough to really know better...that's where it counts!

Pete and John G dig 'em..they play em loud all the time..they are your Vetta source..

I'm a one trick pony...so my Uby suites me fine..I'm just a Dimebag/Kerry King/Zakk Wylde..wannabe hack...I make loud crazy noises...the Uber is great in that aspect...I NEED tons of gain to get out the squeals from hell and whatnots..so.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't do cover songs or play any "pretty" stuff..if I did I would prolly consider a Vetta just for sheer versatility...but I'm covered with my Marshall rack if I needed to go there...which I won't ..I play the same way thru that rig too..always on 10!

Good luck man.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

i voted no, like stated the marshall will only go up in value and the vetta will only go down.

Comment

Working...
                              X