No announcement yet.

should i sell my jcm800 for a vetta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: should i sell my jcm800 for a vetta?

We all hear things differently. If I had a choice between a powerball or a vetta, I'd grab the vetta in a heartbeat. The powerball just doesn't do a thing for me personally. Others dig em though.

Pete

Comment

I don't know man. Maybe you didn't here the PB through the right speakers. THrough greenbacks it rocks.

slevy007

Comment

when pete and i were at an HC ampfest, i can tell ya that the sounds he had from his vetta were (to my ears) way better than the bogners and engls there. granted, some of that is from the guy who's playin, but pete's overall sound was much more palatable to my ears.

then again, i'm not a amp loyalist at all.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey Slevy...don't misunderstand my post...I'm not blasting you for your opinion. You're welcome to it! Just wanted to make sure you weren't saying "over-hyped" re: the Vetta with never having played one. I love my Vetta II..but I love it for all the effects it has, etc. I'll probably get a tube head again eventually, but the Vetta does the job well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I have played a Vetta. It's a great modeling amp. But it just isn't a tube amp. Now, for something to rock with at low volumes, barring using a Hotplate...then absolutely. But to get rid of that tone that you can get out of a JCM 800, I don't think that is the greatest decision. I mean I just sprung for an ENGL Powerball (Ihave a modded BLock 5150 as well), and have heard some clips of modded JCM's that I would love to have.
            Now, the JCM 800 is not the most versatile amp, obviously. But it does what it does pretty well. On top of that, you have the 5150 to do other stuff.
            I don't think it's a good idea.
            However, I do wonder sometimes how a Vetta would sound slaved through a good tube poweramp.
            Other than that, I don't this much of the solid state. I'm a tube guy. But if you NEED every tone in the world, and need it done alright, then maybe a modeling head is the way to go for you. But if you want a few particular sounds, and you want them done well...the only true answer is tube.
            Just my 2 cents.
            Also, just because I'm a newbie here doesn't mean I'm a newbie elsewhere. Also, look at the poll. They say "No" as well.

slevy007 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

P.S. Thanks for the welcome [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey slevy007, no worries mate. I love this ever present topic. When the tube vs modeling debate dies down sometimes I have to start it up again. I ride both sides of the fence. I love tubes because of the way they feel when I play. I love modeling because I crave a million tones and the Vetta is the top of the foodchain when it comes to modeling technology. BTW... its parked at my house right next to my Soldano. Welcome to the board. Feel free to fire away. I have thick skin. Afterall... I am an amp whore. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I voted yes. You will dig all of the different tones you can get from the Vetta. The Marshall rules, but it is a one trick pony. I am a bog fan of modlers. I use my V-Amp Pro jacked into my old Peavey Studio Pro 112 for everything. It gets all of the tones I want and need. You can sell the Marshall, get the Vetta and have drinking money left over.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I can agree that the Marshall is a bit of a one trick pony. IMHO, it's better to one or a couple of things REALLY well than a bunch of things okay. THen again, I tend to be in to hard rock and metal most of the time.
                So to each his own. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

slevy007

Comment

No I can dig your opinion. I have tried a Vetta. It's not bad...It's the best modeler around- that I agree with.
                  But I would rather have an amp with a few GREAT sounds than a bunch of okay sounds. I don't know.
                  The different effect incorporated is a nice feature, but when it comes to that stuff I generally prefer a good multifx rack liek a TC of Lexicon...wish I could afford and Eventide [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

slevy007

Comment

You have to tinker with the powerball. No question. But also, speakers make a huge difference. I mean, I played it through a VHT cab with C90's I think, and it sucked!
                    But I also dig the tone that you can get from a Boogie MarkIV (now that is an amp with a SERIOUS learning curve). The powerball can get that sound, but dirtier and deeper if I want. It's all good though.

slevy007 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

+1 with loving the tube amps.

If you want a million sounds, then I agree that the Vetta is number one. But I would rather have several AWESOME sounds for my main rig, than have a modelling amp (Vetta, POD, J-Station) for low volume practicing.

Metal!

slevy007

Comment

I didn't care for the mark IV either. Sounded gritty as hell. We played the PB through a V30/G75 xpattern loaded Bogner Uber cab and also a Mesa Recto cab with V30s too. I didn't care for either combination. His uber was pretty cool, but I preferred his XTC over it, and his SLO over the bogners.

Hell, I didn't like his VHT Ultralead as much as my 50/CL!

Pete

Comment

A diehard Mesa Boogie user and myself did an extensive a/b comparison between a 1st generation Dual Rectifier and a newer version Triple Rectifier and a Vetta 2. We used the same Mesa Boogie oversized 4 x 12 cabinets.
                          We both agreed that the Vetta Mesa Rectifier model sounded a little better than the actual Rectifiers. It took around 1 hour of tweaking on the Vetta but once we dialed it in we were very surprised. The Marshall models take even longer to dial in and it really helps to have an actual JCM800 to compare it too.
                          One of the best straight up 80's metal hair band patches on the Vetta is a dual stacked Marshall JPM-1 with a Tube Screamer in front of it running through the Marshall 4 x 12 cab with Vin 30's.

Comment

I love the Modern High Gain model on my V-Amp Pro. I think it models a Soldano. It is just awesome, period.

I am a big fan of modelers and I would love a Vetta.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

you should do whatever YOU think you should do, not what a bunch of people on a internet forum would do.....
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                you should do whatever YOU think you should do, not what a bunch of people on a internet forum would do.....

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I am just voicing my opinion which is worth around .02.

Comment

Working...
                                X