12AX7 vs ECC83 vs 7025-Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12AX7 vs ECC83 vs 7025-Y

What's the difference between these preamp tubes as far as tonal qualities? I have seen some tube manufactures have all 3 types printed on their tubes. Also, I've heard the regions where the tubes are made play a difference in tone. I know that certain amps that have 12AU7's or 12AT7's as a phase inverter can't be changed with 12AX7's.

Re: 12AX7 vs ECC83 vs 7025-Y

12AX7 is the US name for the Euro ECC83. The 7025 is a low-noise 12AX7; I'm pretty sure it's a JAN designation for military-spec tubes. Can't say much about the tonal qualities...mileage will vary from amp to amp.

12AU7s have a way lower gain factor than AX7 or AT7. One tube I like a lot in the first position is the 5751, another one of those military tubes. The gain factor is lower, but for some reason my Univalve sounds like it has more balls when I use a 5751 instead of any of my 12AX7s.

Comment

Oops I meant to say Power stage buffer/driver instead of phase inverter.

Comment

preamp tubes
        I saw this and this is what got me thinking about changing the preamp tubes with a different type. I don't know about the brand name, but if there are specific tubes that will put out more gain or a different sound than a standard 12AX7, I wanted to give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
        X