Too cheap for an ENGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too cheap for an ENGL

Alright lads, Ive decided I want an ENGL, but they're needlessly expensive (well I bet they're worth it).
    What are some cheaper options?
    Thanks

James

Re: Too cheap for an ENGL

What ENGL models are you looking at? I've seen combo's/heads and Preamps at all different price reanges. I've seen some of their preamps for about $300US on ebay. I think those are 2 channel.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

If you want the ENGL gain w/out the entire amp.. they have some pedal that actually does the crazy gain thing well... it seemed one dimensional when I tried it.. but it DID seem to add the ENGL tone to the front end of other amps.
      I ended up with a used Savage anyway, along with a Straight 100 combo...

Comment

You will never be happy faking their sound with pedals or cloning amps. Better save up and get the real thing. They are a bit on the pricey side, but not Bogner or Diezel $$ crazy.
        ENGLs are built like a rock and sound incredible, I can speak for the PB. Some folks swear by the FB and some others say the Blackmore amp is all that.
        The bottom line is not try to fake it, you will be searching "that" tone and never be happy or truly convinced. GET the real thing, they are worth it.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Look at the Fireball or Blackmore used.. Both of those go for pretty reasonable amounts. Shit.. Robotechnology on here snagged the super inexpensive Savage 120 that was up for grabs a little while back. Just be keep an eye out and the money ready and when a deal pops up snag it.

Comment

Cool advice guys thanks!

The (very) few Ive seen have all been over £1000 ($1750) and a common price for them is a few hundred over that. The thing is, Im only 20, so Ive got a long time to get all this pro-gear. I was just wondering if there was something out there to tide me over till I can afford these amps!

James

Comment

E530 preamp and a peavey classic 60 power amp from ebay.

Comment

wow, these prices are quite ridiculous. over here you can get a savage 120 for 1100 euro all day long.
                so, what kind of engl are you looking for?
                if you're after a more traditional sound a la engl blackmore or savage 120, i second the E530 and peavey pwramp setup.

Comment

I just discovered engl just updated the powerball! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah I read a review on this, the noise gate is supposed to work way better now...
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Ja!And also the eq response!

Comment

Ive no idea which ENGL I want! I just checked out a list of sound samples and they all sounded immense and like the exact tone I want lol. All of them!!!
                        So buying a pre amp and power amp separately then running them into a 4x12 is like having a combo in 3 parts aint it?...
                        Whats all this about ENGLs having more channels than they need?

James

Comment

Just checked and seen that the Powerballs are around £799 so thats pretty good.

Comment

The Fireball has only one channel, but the ability to switch from normal gain (kinda clean) to ultra gain (massive brutality, yeah!). And two independent mastervolumes (if you get the footswitch), which is a damn great feature.

It is the perfect amp for me! After 9 months it still makes me grin from ear to ear everytime I play it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Cool. Recently Ive been sacrificing tone for being able to hear myself at gigs. Just cranking the mids and treble and a fair amount of bass and putting 99% of the gain on. Great for making your band sound like Dismember, shame my band dont want to [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Working...
                              X