5150 II vs. JCM 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 II vs. JCM 800

I've been looking for a new amp and have narrowed it down to those two and am having a hard time deciding. Anyone really familiar with both?
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Re: 5150 II vs. JCM 800

I think these are two totally different amps and that you're not gonna get much help unless you give some specifics to what kinda sound you're after.

Comment

I thought they were sort of similar, shows how much I know haha. Anyways, I'm looking for something that has good/versatile distortion. Kind of like Scandinavian metal sound, but I like to play all types of metal.
      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

JCM 800. Nothing gives you a smoother, creamier and better leadsound than a good Marshall, tweaked well, imho. (With a TS-9 in front of it, of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

alot of the scandinavian bands are using the 5150's, if you want a heavier distortion then i would go with that. I have a JCM800 and i have the 5150II and they are both killer amps. However the JCM800 with give you that 80's metal sound or thrash sound but will never get you in that high gain arena of todays music. The 5150II is a great amp with great distortion, and you can have it cheaper then the JCM's and it is more verstile.

Comment

The 5150 will crush it in the gain dept. Even with a pedal in front. The 5150 does the metal thing very well.

The Marshall JCM 800. It depends on the year and model you are going for. The 2210 would be more like the 5150. It will do metal. As for any other JCM 800 model you will need a pedal in front. I personally like the SD-1 and Marshall combo or a Hotmod in it.

The 5150 would be my choice out of the two.

Comment

I love both amps. BUT, for the swedish metal, I'd go 5150 for sure.

Comment

So would a 5150 be able to cover other stuff than just Swedish metal?

Comment

5150 with a full retube. Pedals will help cover the rest of your needs.

[ QUOTE ]
                  So would a 5150 be able to cover other stuff than just Swedish metal?

[/ QUOTE ]

What other stuff?

Comment

Sure. For a couple years, I saw more 5150s than Marshall 900/2000s on stages for country, rock, pop etc...

I think they are a very heavy sounding amp, but are pretty useable for other stuff. I was in a cover band doing Slayer, Savatage, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Metal Church, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Dio, Vanhalen, and all sorts of odd stuff. Worked pretty well for it.

Comment

The 5150 will be had for much less too so you can get a nice cab to go under it. They sound really nice with the 5150 cab too. They are built pretty solid too. Peavey stuff is built to last. If I had to sell the rig I use now I would get another 5150 in a heartbeat. They can get a bunch of good tones other than just metal.... But it does metal best. Solid choice. Don't buy into the block letter head vs signature head thing. They both are built the same. Save your dough. Get the signature head and you are god to go.

Comment

So what kind of tubes for a retube?

Comment

I used Svet 6l6gc's in mine and it killed.

Comment

Okay, so are you basing all this on the 5150 or the 5150 II? I was considering the II.

Comment

They both sound great and will do metal with no problem THe II has a tiny bit less gain and is a bit more refined. THe clean channel has its own eq. I prefer the 5150 but that is only because I dont use the clean channel. Either one will rock. I have owned a few JCM800's and a few 5150's. Based on your needs, The 5150 is the amp IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X