5150 II vs. JCM 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 II vs. JCM 800

"BTW, I love the 800s and the 5150s and have uses for both amps for sure. But, I think the 5150 is the more relevent amp to most metal and to more players that do current metal right now.

For plug in out of the box brutality and chug on rythms, the 5150 is truly the one to get. But the 800s will have a sweeter lead tone. "
    +1
    well, my post was misleading...i didn't mean to say he should get the jmp1 rack over BOTH the jcm800 and the 5150. i just think the rack would suit him better than the 2210 head (i prefer the 2210 btw). i certainly prefer the 5150 over the rack, but then again, the rack beats the living shit out of the 5150 when it comes to marshall tones...duh!

edit: as for the jmp1....you said you're into scandinavian stuff. check out hatesphere, they're using a jmp1/ mesa 50:50 setup. quite a kickass sound, although i'm convinced their latest album features a different setup.

Comment

The 5150 does classic to new metal no sweat. The 2210 does classic metal Marshall better. I would choose the 5150 because it is the easier to dial in of the 2.

Comment

"I would choose the 5150"
        +1
        "because it is the easier to dial in of the 2. "
        -1 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        the marshall is a lot easier to dial in, mainly because the tone controls don't do that much, esp. at higher volumes (at low volumes they do make quite a difference, strangely). it literally took me 1 minute to dial in my main rhythm tone on the 2210 back when i played my first show with that amp. the EQ section on the 5150 however is a lot deeper, the resonance and bass controls alone can make or break the sound. i'm able to dial in an almost-marshall on steroids tone, or an almost-recto-ish tone but adjusting the EQ.

Comment

I'm a bit confused about the rack since I haven't been playing for really long and that I never paid much attention to amps until now. Like does the rack just act as a head except it's a rack?
          If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Oh yeah, and how much heavier is a rack? Haha that sounded kinda funny [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Working...
            X