THD Yellow Jacket Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Yellow Jacket Users?

Show of hands, please? In what amps? Why?

Bueller? Bueller? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: THD Yellow Jacket Users?

I had them in a Marshall 2203 for a while to tame that beast. I just used 2 of them in the middle 2 tube sockets and left the other 2 empty. So I went from 100w of 6550's to about 20w of EL-84's. It was cool for a while, added some chime and was getting pretty damn good tone at lower levels but it was still loud. I haven't used them in anything else.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks, Shawn. That is pretty much what I have in mind for my XXX.

I keep shopping for a Classic 20 (2 EL84s) as a second low(er) power amp, then it dawned on me that two yellow jackets in the Trip X (I'm already running it on two tubes) might get me the same place without taking up the extra space that another amp would.

Talked to THD today about it, and I think I'm going to give them a whirl.

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I've got one on order from GC for my Univalve. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The amp will take just about any tube, but you need the Yellow Jacket for EL84s to work in THD amps. The little Uni is only 15 watts, but it can get loud!! The attenuator works well, but I prefer the EL84 sound over the EL34 that's in it now anyway, plus it'll help lower the volume so I won't need to use the attenuator as much.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I've got one on order from GC for my Univalve. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The amp will take just about any tube, but you need the Yellow Jacket for EL84s to work in THD amps. The little Uni is only 15 watts, but it can get loud!! The attenuator works well, but I prefer the EL84 sound over the EL34 that's in it now anyway, plus it'll help lower the volume so I won't need to use the attenuator as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried a 6K6 in there yet? Even NOS ones are cheap since they're not in demand. Oddly enough, the best one I have is a Realistic-labeled Matsushita. Awesome!

Comment

No, I've only tried a couple EL34s. I'll probably check out a 6K6 and some other tubes soon, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X