Going in for 5150 test. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going in for 5150 test. Suggestions?

Hopefully this weekend (or the next) I'll be going to try out a 5150. Any suggestions? I doubt I'll be able to crank it up, so I hope I'm not missing too much. We play a lot of thrash metal, but I'm looking for something a little bit bassier. I tried the Dual Rectifier and it and my guitar did not get along. (DR sounded great with a PRS though...). As for what tone specifically... perhaps the guitars off of Damnation and a Day. Lot's of chunk on the rhythm, but a good lead too.

I don't know what I'm looking for! Hopefully I'll get smacked in the face by a good amp someday.

Perhaps I could give you the settings that I have my Spider II set on:

Metal channel: green
    gain: 3 o'clock
    bass: 9 o'clock
    mid: 12
    high:3-4

Does that perhaps tell you what I'm looking for? One of my axes has a Toni Iommi pickup (it hates the DR, FYI) and the other one has some type of EMG that I've been too lazy to dig out and see. Haven't tried it with the DR yet, maybe it'll agree with it better. Different tones from the axes, but I love'em both.

Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Going in for 5150 test. Suggestions?

Personally, I think a Dual Rectifier KILLS a 5150 in the low end thump and high end sizzle department.
    What cabinets were you trying the DR with?
    The 5150 is a great metal amp but it is very open, harsh and grainy... but in a good way. Its great for thrash.
    I just can't imagine you would like it if you don't like a DR. I bet it was the cabinet you were using because all the DR's that I have heard or owned were monsters with huge bottom end chunk and thump. Its one of the best amps for palm muting.

Comment

I've noticed that I don't really like how my Dual Rectifier sounds with a guitar with hotter pickups, like the Duncan Custom, Tony Iommi, EMGs, etc., because a hotter pickup makes it sound compressed. I like cooler pickups into it, like a JB, 57 Classic, Alnico II Pro, and the like.

Comment

I like 5150s, but don't like Rectos... Interesting...

Comment

Rectos and 5150 are TOTALLY different amps.
          Recto is a low end monster with smooth mids, 5150 has higher mids and is more Marshally sounding.
          Recto is great for modern heavy music wich is moore groove and big chords based, 5150 is a thrash beast, it sounds very tight.
          I personally love Rectots but don't like 5150 high gain metal tones.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The other thing to consider is that the Dual Rectifier tightens up and gets better sounding as it gets louder. The 5150 is completely the opposite.
            They are indeed totally different amps but if you are looking for low end thump and palm muted chunk the DR is perfect.
            I agree with Endriks tone opinions although I like both the DR and the 5150. My Soldano kills them both!

Comment

Ditto on the 5150 Recto / comparison..I'm partial to 5150's myself...

I have no use for Rectos at all..they don't have what I'm lookin' for..that's for sure! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

When using a 5150 ..the matching 5150 shefield cab is mandatory as is a BBE 442/422A..IMO!

But NOTHING I've ever heard hangs with my Uber of course. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The other problem with the 5150 is the fine line it has between a tight palm muted chunk and a grainy loose farty sound when its turned up loud.
                The best sounding cabinets for a 5150 are:

Marshall 1960A with Vin 30's: This is good for all around rock and metal with a nice range of lows, mids and highs. Its actually a little mid heavy.

Peavey 5150 cab with Sheffields: This is a tighter sounding cabinet with more chunk and bottom end. It sounds a little compressed though.

Comment

I'm not a really big fan of 5150's because I don't dig it's high gain metal tone and It's not the best amp for classic VH tones either IMHO but it is awsome for Steve Steven's type of rock tones wich I really like, 5150 is perfect for that.
                  But then again if I'm looking for more 80's rock tones I would take Soldano SLO-100 wich is the best non-modern sounding amp IMO.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'm not a really big fan of 5150's because I don't dig it's high gain metal tone and It's not the best amp for classic VH tones either IMHO but it is awsome for Steve Steven's type of rock tones wich I really like, 5150 is perfect for that.
                    But then again if I'm looking for more 80's rock tones I would take Soldano SLO-100 wich is the best non-modern sounding amp IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 again! The 5150 doesn't remind me of the VH tone in the slightest. A Soldano SL100, Avenger, HR50, HR50+ are everything a 5150 wished it could ever be.
                    Actually, my Soldano SP77 based rack system also kills any 5150. I know 1st hand because I own a 5150II and have owned several 5150's.
                    The 5150 is a nice amp. Set it, forget it. Its actually hard to get it to sound bad. With that said.. it doesn't sound great and certainly isn't as "heavy" as a DR.

Comment

I owned NOTHING but Marshall 1960 cabs..for the last 15 years or so..I have five right here.

I had ONE 5150 cab...

No comparison..it made the 5150 much more defined and usable at higher sound levels..with less "flub".

That is my confirmed hands on experience/observation..my mind is 100% made up..done deal here.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I second that the 5150 does NOT give you the CLASSIC VH "brown sound"..not at all..two different tones..You want that...get an old Marshall..a Variac..a Tape echo and some noisy MXR crap..it'll be noisey as shit..but that IS VH's sound..not the 5150..not since the FUCK album

Comment

i had a recto and i played a 6505 last week and i liked the peavey better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            My Soldano kills them both!

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering it was the "template" for them both, that's hardly surprising. I still like a Triple better for rhythm playing, but the Soldano sound better for solos.

Having said that, the 5150 is a great "bang for the buck" amp, and quite capable of sounding very good, especially after Jerry P. gets his hands on them...
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Really you guys can't get a "brown sound " out of a 5150?
                              try taking those shit tubes out and putting in some JJ's. throw an EQ into the loop and use a cab with Celestions in it.
                              roll the gain back and roll back the low reasonance.(keep the crunch off)
                              I'm just using a combo (with JJ's) and I can get a real good brown sound out of mine.
                              don't believe me check out these clips (not mine but he sent me his settings)
                              The key is using the lead channel but rolling back the
                              gain. This amp sounds diffrent as you turn the gain up and down. I f'n love mine! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              Brown_Sound
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X