Switching effects loop from Parallel to Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching effects loop from Parallel to Series

I was thinking about having this done to my Rectifier. Is it doable? Would it be an expensive mod? I figure this configuration would make the loop more stomp box friendly.

Re: Switching effects loop from Parallel to Series

What makes a loop more stomp box friendly isn't really the parallel to series, it's what level the loop runs at. Best loop I ever had in an amp was my VHT - it had a switch to run rack or stomp boxes, and parallel/series. Much better than boogies imho.

Pete

Comment

I wouldn't suggest it. There are some outboard effects that will buffer the loop for you. Just make sure that you put that unit closest to the send jack on your Rectifier. I am sure somebody will chime in on what type of box you need.
      I think another way to do it would be to buy a Boss NS-2 Noise Gate stomp box. The NS-2 has an input and output jack and also a send and return jack. Just put all your effects in the buffered loop of the NS-2 and plug the NS-2 input and output jacks into the send and return of your Rectifier. That should give you what you need CHEAP.

Comment

Hmmm... Even when fooling with the mix control, I can't use an EQ in the loop of my Rectifier. All I get is squeeling, or even worse, a screaming oscillation. On the other hand, the Classic 50 that I just picked up works very well with the stomps.

Okay, maybe the better question is, would it be possible to mod the effects loop of my Rectifier so that I could use stomp boxes in the effects loop?

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, I see JG has sorta answered my question. Any tips or trick are greatly appreciated. I'm dying to try using an EQ in the loop. I've never done it effectively until last night and I'm blown away by the difference it makes.

Comment

You shouldn't get squealing in the loop using stomp boxes. Let me know what pedals you are using and I will tell you what the problem is. The Rectifier has a fairly friendly effects loop level for stomp boxes. It likes processors better but I haves used stomp boxes with the ones I have ones and many of my friends continue to have their pedal boards in the loop of their Rectifiers.

Comment

might have a microphonic tube running the fx loop...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                might have a microphonic tube running the fx loop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, that is EXACTLY what happened to my Dual Rectifier. I was getting squealing when I activated my loop. I couldn't find a setting that made my stomp boxes sound good. I replaced the tube that controls the effects loop and the problem was solved. I can't believe I forgot to suggest it.
                Thanks bro.. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I suppose that could be. The last time I tried using the effects loop for anything was over a year ago. I've swapped my preamp tubes around a ton since then. I wonder if using a 12at7 in that slot (V4?) would make a difference.

I normally run dry, but I was thinking of adding my DD3 in there, and of course the EQ to tighten it up.

Comment

Try a new tube and let me know if that does it. The stuff you are putting in the loop shouldn't cause a squeal unless you are really diming out the gain on the amp and the level on the EQ.

Comment

I tried using a GE7 in the loop of my Rectifier and though I didn't get any squealing noises, it didnt affect the tone much at all.

In the test case, I was running the gain at about 4 in vintage mode. When I would move the level more than about half a notch off the middle position, the amp would make a loud, low oscillating sound. The output volume was at TV level.

Comment

I thought it was squealing? A low oscillating sound can still be a bad tube but it can also be a bad cord or even a bad ground.

Comment

The last time I tried it, it was squealing. Now I'm just getting that oscillating sound.

Noises aside, I'm not getting the results I'd like. The PV's tone is changed drastically with an EQ in the loop. The slightest change in slider positions make a huge difference.

Comment

Check the battery in the EQ. Also, check the cords and the tube. The slightest change in slider positions is supposed to make a huge difference. Especially on a 7 band EQ. The hum sounds like a problem though.

Comment

I'll check out the tubes. The EQ is connected to a Furman powersupply pedal board, and the cables are George L's (they work great in every other application). I wonder if using a lower gain tube for the effects loop will help...

Thanks for the all the replies, I appreciate it! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X