Rack and Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Head

Hey guys. So, i don't like the lead tone i get from my JCM900. I think it sounds just a bit too thin and lacks something. Where as the rhythm sound is pretty cool. It can compete with other higher gain amps.

So i got thinking about what to do.

1. Sell the head and get a new one (ENGL Fireball/Blackmore or something else)

2. Get an E.Q pedal and see what happens

3. Use a Pre-Amp and Poweramp as well as the Head but switch between the two, using an amp switcher.

What do you guys think?

Now i see really cool things on Ebay all the time, like ADA MP-1 pre-amps and Laney Pro Tube heads which are known for fat lead tones. So having that stuff would be pretty cool to have around, but i'm in three minds about it. HELP!
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Rack and Head

If you like your JCM900 rhythm tone and you want a nice lead tone you should look at the Marshall JMP1 preamp. Its really great.
    I would try throwing a EQ in the loop for solo boost. It will boost your volume and fatten up the tone. Just boost the mids a little more than normal. A good reverb will also fatten up a lead tone on a Marshall. You can also use what 99% of all Marshall players use to fatten up their lead tone on a JCM800/900. THE IBANEZ TUBE SCREAMER.
    Just get a stock TS9 and you should be all set. Throw it in front of the amp between your guitar and the amp and when you need to get fat.. step on it. Malmsteen uses a YJM308 or a DOD250. The TS9 is more versatile because it has a tone control and you can mod the piss out of it if you want. Keeley and Analogman also sell modded versions of it.

Comment

personally, i have tried the multi amp rig and found it too be more of a headache than it is worth. i can still set it up and occasionally do. i use a 63 fender tremolux with a JBL loaded 2x12 cab and a fender tube reverb unit for cleans, a rivera m-100 with two 1x12 EVM loaded rivera cabs for gritty clean and medium distrotion tones, then a rivera s-120 with a rivera 2x10 and a marshal 4x12 for lead tones. there is always a ground loop somewhere, it is a lot to move live, and is too excessive for home use.

so when i do play live, i just use one head and a couple of cabs and make the best of it. if you like your marshall throw an EQ in front, or an overdrive box and see if it gets the job done for leads. if not, find a head that will give you as close to what you need in one box.

moving all that gear gets to suck after awhile.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        personally, i have tried the multi amp rig and found it too be more of a headache than it is worth. i can still set it up and occasionally do. i use a 63 fender tremolux with a JBL loaded 2x12 cab and a fender tube reverb unit for cleans, a rivera m-100 with two 1x12 EVM loaded rivera cabs for gritty clean and medium distrotion tones, then a rivera s-120 with a rivera 2x10 and a marshal 4x12 for lead tones. there is always a ground loop somewhere, it is a lot to move live, and is too excessive for home use.

so when i do play live, i just use one head and a couple of cabs and make the best of it. if you like your marshall throw an EQ in front, or an overdrive box and see if it gets the job done for leads. if not, find a head that will give you as close to what you need in one box.

moving all that gear gets to suck after awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. multi amp rigs are cool as hell if you have somebody to transport them, set them up and break them down for you. Also, if you ever have a problem at a gig with a multi amp rig its a nightmare to troubleshoot it unless you have a competant tech on your payroll.

Comment

totally...but the sound IS godly!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

JG..there is also a couple of local dudes around here that run ther JMP-1 into their JCM 800 and 900s around here...and they get a pretty cool sound ..

In my Marshall 9200 monoblock / JMP-1...I run a BBE 422 in the loop..it does thicken up the tone alot IMO..I like it better with it than without it..

Cleve John used to boost his input and slam it with a wireless..it beefed it up alot..plus we ran external EQs at the time..it is a night and day difference than running the amp on its own..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

oh man, a '63 Fender Tremolux.. now there's likely a sweet sounding amp. A buddy of mine has a '63-'64 black face Vibrolux...there's so much headroom and just a full sounding beautful clean.

Comment

JMP-1 into their JCM 800 and 900's

That sounds interesting Bill. How would you do that? run it into the Effects loop? would that also work with an ADA MP-1? (i have my eyes on one on EBay)
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Try throwing a tubescreamer 9 in front of it. It will give you a 'coated' sound, though.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    oh man, a '63 Fender Tremolux.. now there's likely a sweet sounding amp. A buddy of mine has a '63-'64 black face Vibrolux...there's so much headroom and just a full sounding beautful clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah, it is gorgeous!! a VERY loud 35 watts. those old fenders can move some serious air when mated with the right speakers. i use mine with 2 300 watt JBL G12-S speakers in a theile aligned cab, and the sound is tight, focused and clear. i bridge both channels with a jumper cord and run the tube reverb unit in between the 2 channels, so the vibrato channel ends up having vibrato AND tube reverb. i use the volume knob to blend in the right amount of the effected signal and it sound SO massive, rich and clean. i LOVE it!!
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      JMP-1 into their JCM 800 and 900's

That sounds interesting Bill. How would you do that? run it into the Effects loop? would that also work with an ADA MP-1? (i have my eyes on one on EBay)

[/ QUOTE ]

They run it right into the front inputs. The JMP-1 is basically a glorified rack mounted MIDI programable distortion pedal, and it give a growly amp like the 800 or a Sovtek much serious crunch.

Comment

I'd personally find a head you're happy with. You can try all pedals and EQ's you want, but they're just band-aids, not a fix.

Comment

Looks like i might get myself an ENGL Screamer Combo. I played through one today with a vintage 1959 Fender Strat, an Ibanez PGM and a custom guitar with EMG's. The best amp i've frigging played through. Possibly even better than the Mesa Mark IV combo i played through.
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'd personally find a head you're happy with. You can try all pedals and EQ's you want, but they're just band-aids, not a fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Somebody said something about "coating" your tone with tubescreamer. A TS-9 is a GREAT pedal (I do recommend having it modded for true bypass though, I've become such a pud that I wont have buffered effects in my rig, the other availible mods are up to you) I personally think its alot smoother and tighter than the famed TS-808. Test 'em both.

It will coat your sound JUST A LITTLE. But. . .thats kinda what you want? It picks up your notes and runs with them for some killer sustain. Your amp will still sound very much like your amp.

I REALLY dont like EQ's myself, because I feel that once you start moving the knobs, things sound processed, noisy, and un-natural. Just my opinion.

I have an Laney AOR Pro Tube 100 head, and I love it. Its got a great Marshall EL34 crunch with IMO better picking dynamics and more low end, and a beautiful high end.

It has a good amount of gain built in, its got one more gain stage than your average marshall. Something is very musical about the overdrive, its lovely, and VERY clear. A TS-9 on that thing would give you all the sustain you can want for lead tones. I LOVE mine, and its a keeper.

The TS-9 isn't really necesary, its got enough gain on its own, but the TS-9 just generates a PERFECT lead tone, to my ears. Its good to have on your pedalboard so its there if you need/want it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are quite content with that tone though. I'd at least try it dude. If it feels band-aided, begin the search for more head. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X