Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl preamp in loop?

Hey gents,
    I have an Engl E530 coming from rocksolidamps and I wanted to run my routing scheme by the resident pros.
    The Engl has a defeat switch so I was planning on feeding it with the clean channel (1) of my Laney TT Head in the fx loop as the Engl channels, defeat switch and Laney amp channels are all midi switchable.
    I figured I could then access any of the 2 Engl or 3 Laney channels (which I like but don't love, hence the 530).

My question is will my signal be okay coming from the Laney's preamp or would I be better off plugging directly into the Engl then through the Laney's loop return. The latter obvioulsy making the Laney's preamp channels inaccessible. I am not completely opposed to losing the Laney channels but the tonal flexibility would be nice.

On a final note I am planning on ordering the Engl 2x12 with V30's next week....Does anybody know of any reasons why I shouldn't...I haven't seen anything negative said about them but then I haven't seen much said about them at all. I don't have any way to test drive them but I figure with the brand name and cost...It's a better cabinet than I am a guitar player so it should work.
    Thanks for any insight, [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    -Michael

Re: Engl preamp in loop?

Don't know the answer, but I'd be interested in a review of the E530 after you've had a chance to put it through the paces.

Comment

I just got an Engl myself so i wouldn't be able to answer your first two questions. As far as cabnets go, I play mine thru a mesa recto cab (got it cheap) that has vintage 30's in them and it makes a world of difference atleast for my Savage 120.

Comment

personally, i would just put the engl in the return of the effects loop and bypass the laney's preamp. afterall, if you bought the engl, the laney was lacking something. putting the engl in the front of the laney would add some noise, kinda like stacking gain, and while there is the defeat switch, you still be sending the signal through the engl.

as far as the cab goes, it's an engl. it won't suck, like say, a behringer would!! sorry to those of you using behringer, no insults intended....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X