Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa Tvebr VS Dual recto + reverb pedal

Hey guys

are amps with their own reverb generally going to sound better than an amp + a reverb pedal?

I am torn between a mesa trem o verb b/c it has it's own reverb, and a mesa 3 channel dual recto (and adding a reverb pedal)

what do you guys say?

Re: mesa Tvebr VS Dual recto + reverb pedal

i like amps with built in reverb, but i also have a fender tube reverb that i have put in the loop of other amps. the real question is do you prefer spring reverb or pedal reverbs? spring reverb is what is usually in tube amps, where pedal reverb usually replicates the sound of a room or a hall, etc. that would be the real factor, IMO.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      i like amps with built in reverb, but i also have a fender tube reverb that i have put in the loop of other amps. the real question is do you prefer spring reverb or pedal reverbs? spring reverb is what is usually in tube amps, where pedal reverb usually replicates the sound of a room or a hall, etc. that would be the real factor, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

good question, I guess I don't know what spring reverb sounds like.

I just sold a 5150 and I'd like to get something with reverb, the only reverb experience I have is a fender 15w combo that has the large hall reverb sound you speak of.

btw - I too am in FL, I live about 2.5 hours south of you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Not at all. A Mark III with its own reverb was sweet, but it shone with digital reverb!!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Not at all. A Mark III with its own reverb was sweet, but it shone with digital reverb!!

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think a dual rectifier with a digital reverb pedal might sound better than the mesa tremoveb with it's own spring reverb?

Comment

Yup.

No experience with either amps, but if it goes with a Mark III I'm fairly sure a dual rect would take it.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'd rather have a Tremoverb or Rectoverb.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'd rather have a Tremoverb or Rectoverb.

[/ QUOTE ]

any reason why?

Comment

I just prefer the amps to have reverb than use a pedal. Not that there's anything wrong with using a pedal if it works for you.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I just prefer the amps to have reverb than use a pedal. Not that there's anything wrong with using a pedal if it works for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the input, I will have to make a trek out to GC to hear what the rectoverb sounds like, then compare to the dual recto

Comment

I like digital reverb better. More options.

Comment

I like amps that have the reverb built in better, but my triple recto doesn't have reverb, and I still love it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't judge an amp based on reverb or no reverb... a killer tone should be your #1 concern. Add cheesy effects later!

FWIW, I prefer my G-Major's reverb to everything else short of PC plugins.

Comment

also depends on what music you are playing as well. I have owned both the tremo and the dual recto and also a roadking that also has reverb. So i will give you a take on all of them.

Tremoverb-Great rock amp, can do hard rock and metal but excels at rock and hard rock. This amp has more upper mid's then the regular recto, 2 channels and heavy as hell, longer and wider then the regular recto's.

Dual Recto-Very verstile amp, little darker and in my opinion on the 3rd channel high gain, this is a great amp. The pushed on the clean channel is great for 60's style music, then the raw on 2 and 3 gives you some nice medium rock, then vintage gets some great 80's metal to grundge on channel 2 and great heavy metal on channel 3. The modern is great if you want that style but never really got into it. I love the vintage on both channel 2 and 3 and that is where i would basically stay with this amp, this amp can truly do almost any style of music and in my opinion is the best bang for the buck out of them, but if your main style of music is metal, this is the amp for you!

Roadking- This amp is the king as it says, very verstile, wish it has the pushed voicing like on the dual rec, but you can get it by using the Brit voicing with a pedal. This amp is voiced between a tremoverb and a dual, but more like the tremo, and this thing is the heaviest amp i have ever lifted! This one is also longer and wider then the regular recto's, about the same size as a tremo. Over all this is a great amp, but i never used all the features and to me a recto sounds better with 6L6's so i never realy used the EL34's, i also found if i did use them they would cut down the gain. It is unrealistic to think you could get two cabs mic'ed unless you are a headlining band so the switching cab feature never worked for me anyway. In my opinion this is a great studio amp, but unless you are dave Ghrol and have people moving your equiptment for you, get ready for a great workout.

As to reverb, i have always preferred digital myself as you can mimic most different kinds, and the added weight to an amp just wasnt worth it and alot of spring reverbs suck anyway.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Dual Recto-Very verstile amp, little darker and in my opinion on the 3rd channel high gain, this is a great amp. The pushed on the clean channel is great for 60's style music, then the raw on 2 and 3 gives you some nice medium rock, then vintage gets some great 80's metal to grundge on channel 2 and great heavy metal on channel 3. The modern is great if you want that style but never really got into it. I love the vintage on both channel 2 and 3 and that is where i would basically stay with this amp, this amp can truly do almost any style of music and in my opinion is the best bang for the buck out of them, but if your main style of music is metal, this is the amp for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks you!

I needed to talk to someone that has played all of those!

I would be playing mainly metal, so I guess the dual recto sounds the best.

How would you say the dual recto plays in a bedroom? I heard it's hard to get the dual recto to sound full without getting it really loud.

I'm used to my 5150 (can sound great at relatively low volumes)

I'm really liking what I hear about the dual recto, I love metal but I also like to play a lot of the 80s rock stuff as well as classic rock.

would you recommend the dual recto for bedroom play, or do you think I should go for something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X