Question about a G Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a G Major

My current rig consists of a 5150 head, 1960a cab, Jackson KV2 and a G Major in the effects loop. Is it possible to turn the Post gain on the 5150 up to 7 or 8 and turn the output on the G major down so it is not so loud? Would it harm the amp?
    Thankx...

Re: Question about a G Major

Sure you can do it and no, it would not harm the amp.

Comment

So using the G major like this is similiar to what a hotplate does. I could get super cranked tone at lower volue...

Comment

Nope. A hotplate attenuates what is coming out of the poweramp. What you described will only cause a weaker signal to be sent to the poweramp and the poweramp would amplify the weaker signal. The beauty of a hotplate is that you can achieve power amp distortion at lower volume levels.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Nope. A hotplate attenuates what is coming out of the poweramp. What you described will only cause a weaker signal to be sent to the poweramp and the poweramp would amplify the weaker signal. The beauty of a hotplate is that you can achieve power amp distortion at lower volume levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct but in the 5150's case, it sounds great at low to moderate volumes so using the G-Major to drop the volume down to an acceptable level would work fine. It won't sound any better like aldog1330 said but you will be able to turn it to a whisper quiet level.

Comment

This is true. There is a big volume jump between 0 and 1 on my 5150, so setting your level on the G-Major will improve this. You may find out though that the G-Major won't have much signal to process, so I'm not sure where the 5150's post gain knobs come into the signal. I had issues using my G-Major this way, especially with the tuner.

Comment

Working...
            X