Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on the peavey JSX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on the peavey JSX?

I tried one out tonight. As some of you may recall, I was looking for an amp to replace my 5150. I need it to sound great, but do so at bedroom volume.

I still want to go try out some mesas, but I was impressed with the JSX. It sounds killer, and it gets great tone at low volume just like my 5150 did.

Re: What are your thoughts on the peavey JSX?

The JSX has very good cleans as well. Depending on the kind of music you primarily play it should do the job fairly well.

Comment

great amp. a buddy of mine has one and i was totally impressed.

Comment

do you ever play live&loud? if not, go get an engl, blackmore for example. i personally don't like them at band volume, but my blackmore was hands down the very best bedroom tube amp i've ever played through. it nailed MY sound down to a T when playing at home.

Comment

Fragle, are you saying the JSX isn`t that good at live/loud sounds? I am interested in this amp also. I want it for old Testament/Metallica/slayer stuff without a pedal if possible. Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Fragle, are you saying the JSX isn`t that good at live/loud sounds? I am interested in this amp also. I want it for old Testament/Metallica/slayer stuff without a pedal if possible. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will work fine for that. Plus you have an Excellent clean channel if you choose to play any of the clean parts from those bands. The only pedal I recommend is some sort of OD pedal.

Comment

no, i'm saying that for bedroom volumes, engl amps are hard to beat, but they get worse as the volume is turned up.
              i have no experience with the jsx, but i seriously doubt it has a better low volume tone than the engl.
              but as i said, if you are going to play live, too, the jsx probably is your better bet.

Comment

Ok guys, I have got it now!! Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Rule of thumb:If it sounds great loud live it will sound like ass at bedroom level and vise versa.So some times it is best to have two amps.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

With the active eq I found that with my XXX bedroom levels are great with the ch vol down and the eq's boosted up into the active zone (Passed 12 o’clock)

Live I dime the ch vol and the eqs are set quite low to get the same tone. You need to turn the eqs right off when you dime the ch vol and slowly turn them up.

In other words the ch level is relevant to to sensitivity of the eq.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

My JSX sounds fine at bedroom *and* gig levels. As a matter of fact, a few gigs ago we played a place that provided PA - they had half a dozen crowns running the mains, and a crazy loud monitor setup onstage. Anyways, soundguy comes up to my JSX, and *cranks* it - I mean, we're talking brain damage levels, and I went ahead and put up with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sounded great. I had other guitarists all night asking what Rig I was playing through, since the amp and cab were offstage and not easy to see from the club.

Pete

Comment

my 5150 also sounds fine live as well as at home. of course, there's a huge difference between these two sounds.
                        my marshall however does indeed sound like ass at low volumes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Pete, that soundman would be Jody. I was in a band called gonzos deli and when jody ran sound it did not matter the venue size.....full blast

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            my 5150 also sounds fine live as well as at home. of course, there's a huge difference between these two sounds.
                            my marshall however does indeed sound like ass at low volumes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah dude, I've never played a marshall at a decent volume. I tried a DSL 100 at a local shop and I was disgusted with it when I couldn't find a single tone throughout both channels that I could live with.

those marshalls really do need to be cranked [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

yep, definitely. my jcm800 sucks if the volume is any lower than 10 o'clock. the dsl100 i played for a few weeks sounded better at low volumes, though....still not even close to decent [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X