A $9000 Upgrade - Now My Amp Sounds Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A $9000 Upgrade - Now My Amp Sounds Awesome

I used to have carpet, but recently installed real hardwood floors throughout most of the house. It is Brazilian Koa.

My Marshall now sounds incredible! Tons of low end. My Les Pauls now have this huge bass, low end chunk thing going that just rocks. Carpet really robbed my amp of some great tone.

-Mark

Re: A $9000 Upgrade - Now My Amp Sounds Awesome

Man, that is an AWESOME floor... but are those horseshoe prints? You let the pony walk on the new floor? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

He was probably just horsing around.

Comment

Man, I just installed some really thick carpet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

i use to live in an apartment with hard wood floors and damn the natural reverb was awesome. I remember when i moved out and took out all the furniture it intensified it so much better.

Comment

Carpet does suck tone. Our house is all tile, great acoustics through the whole house.

Our old house had wood floors downstairs. When we put it up for sale, we put most of the furniture in storage and the house was pretty much bare. I had to go out and by a remote control car [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The bare floors were just too tempting [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

That's why the best studios have very expensive wood floors, the tone and the acoustics are amazing.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think it depends. If I had a really good reverb unit, my train of thought would be to make the room as dead as possible just so that I could control the reverb.

I could see how (if you could nail the acoustics right) miking a drumset in a lively room would sound awesome.

Comment

well, that's why expensive studios have rooms with superb acoustics so they don't have to use all that artifical reverb that much. BIG difference between the real and artificial.

You will never get awsome drum sound with reverbs in a lousy room. It's all about the huge room, wood floors and tons of room mics. It makes the sound so powerful and live that no machinge can copy that.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yeah, wood under drums = better room tone, not to mention brighter and easier to mix in the end. Although, in your case, they'd throw down some sheets of plywood to keep that floor from getting too fucked up.

With amps though, most guys tend to try to isolate the cabinet from the ground and walls as much as possible [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Comment

I elevated my amps onto my "guitar entertainment unit" and the sound is indeed better as well. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X