quick rectifier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: quick rectifier question

thanks for the input. any more information on the dating question? which version came first etc..

ah, and john, sambencuda had a series two single recto; there's no 3 channel single rectifier (i wonder why?!)

Comment

Recto Dual Evolution....
      First came the 2 channel head, the first 500 are the most sought after, i have never heard one of these live in person but the different transformers where to have made the bass tighter. I saw a DVD were lynch use these live on tour, but he had the gain down so far i cant tell if i liked it or not.

Then came the rackmount and changed version of the 2 channel recto. I have owned a 92 recto rackmount as well as some late 90's rackmounts and i will tell you i much preferred the late 90's. This also goes with the head version, i owned a head version in the 700's as well as a late 90's 2 channel and i preferred the late 90's.

Then in 2001 came the 3 channel, i owned one of the first run and owned it up till last year, this is one of the amps i regret selling. To me it just sounded great in everyway.

I dont know exact serial numbers so i cant help you there, i just know the first 500 and under 1000 was usually 92 versions. As to the single recto only haveing 2 channels, is they want it to be a watered down dual, i would much prefer to spend the extra 5 hundred and get more options such as a 3rd channel and rec tubes.

Comment

PS the duals were the first,i am not sure what year they intraduced the triple, but i believe it was around 94ish.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          i did already download the manual, so i'm fully informed about the limitations. i just don't recall how the higain mode of the orange channel sounded in comparison to the 3ch's vintage mode.
          maybe you prefer the 3ch for added versality....sure, 3 independent channels plus solo boost definitely opens up a lot of sonic ground, but somehow the 2ch had a purer tone to my ears....less fuzz and mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends alot on style of music you are going for. If you want that old style brutal metal then the 2 channel will do you, but if you want old style mixed with new then a 3 channel will do. basicaly the orange channel on an older 2 channel will sound like the orange channel on a 3 channel with less fuzz as you say and a tad bit less gain. By the way the major difference between the older 2 channel's and newer 3 channels are pots and a tad bit more gain, you can make a 3 channel sound like a two channel but lowering the gain and not putting as much treble/presense in.

Now just a reminder for people that are not the greatest with amps, that qoute on qoute fuzz that everyone complains about is the same fuzz you hear on all these albums you love. Most people that complain of fuzz are those that like older metal or rock, however if you like newer metal then you want the fuzz, and besides that fuzz mix's in great with the mix and you dont even notice it in a band situation, just when playing alone do you notice it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. I like a bit of a buzzsaw quality to my tone....this ain't bluegrass I'm playing.

Comment

Hell yeah! Recto and 5150 grind = the shit. My favorite recorded tone ever was a 5150 blended with a Dual.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Hell yeah! Recto and 5150 grind = the shit. My favorite recorded tone ever was a 5150 blended with a Dual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people just have to remember most people that complain about the buzz are people that are into older style metal or rock etc.... However if you want more of a modern metal tone a rec or uber or 5150 etc.. is your amp.

Comment

thread resurrection:
                there tends to be a huge price difference between the 2 channel heads and the 2 channel racktifier.....the regular heads tend to go for around 1200 euro, whereas the racktifier is more like 1600 usually.
                i wonder if that is just because of all the racktifier=THE shit hype that's going on, or if there is actually enough of a sonic difference to justify paying 400 euro more?

another thing....i tried to put the recto's in the right order regarding manufacturing dates....if i'm wrong please tell me
                small logo + attached powercord : earliest of the bunch, early 90s, some of them black faced
                big logo + attached pc : middle 90s
                big logo + detachable pc : anything up to the 3 ch versions

what i couldn't find out is whether the infamous '94 models feature a small or a big logo...any idea?

also, is the black face version any different from the regular rectifier series, technically speaking? moreover, i've only encountered very old rectos that had the blackface thing going on....are there any late 90s 2ch rectos that also feature the blackface, or is it a early 90s thing only?
                thanks

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  thread resurrection:
                  there tends to be a huge price difference between the 2 channel heads and the 2 channel racktifier.....the regular heads tend to go for around 1200 euro, whereas the racktifier is more like 1600 usually.
                  i wonder if that is just because of all the racktifier=THE shit hype that's going on, or if there is actually enough of a sonic difference to justify paying 400 euro more?

another thing....i tried to put the recto's in the right order regarding manufacturing dates....if i'm wrong please tell me
                  small logo + attached powercord : earliest of the bunch, early 90s, some of them black faced
                  big logo + attached pc : middle 90s
                  big logo + detachable pc : anything up to the 3 ch versions

what i couldn't find out is whether the infamous '94 models feature a small or a big logo...any idea?

also, is the black face version any different from the regular rectifier series, technically speaking? moreover, i've only encountered very old rectos that had the blackface thing going on....are there any late 90s 2ch rectos that also feature the blackface, or is it a early 90s thing only?
                  thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge history on the Recto's so i will give you as much as i can. The Rack Recto's go for more because they are alot harder to find as only so many were made. As to tone difference, well i think they pretty much sound like the normal two channels, some people claim they are tighter in the bottem end, but i do not believe this and i have owned 3 of them including a 1992 Version.

The Recto's with S/N's in the first 500 are the most sought after as they sound different and used some different parts, i have never played one in the first 500 so i can not comment on them.

I have had two 92's, one rack and one regular, both in the 700's on S/N's and they sounded good, however i much preferred the newer recto's.

As to the black face, the early recto's came that way, i believe the 1992 versions, however you will see newer ones out there as it is a option from Mesa.

All the different logo size's i do not know the difference, what i can tell you is my 2001 3 CH Recto was my favorite and i wish i never sold that one as i was the original owner, but i will order another sometime in the future, I am gonna custom it with grill cloath front.

Comment

Working...
                  X