Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall "Lynch Box"

Did anybody see this thing at NAMM?

I'm a big fan of the MTS series.. and the specs and description are a wet dream for me. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I've always respected George's ability to find the "extra bit of tone"

I just hope it lives up to the hype.

'http://www.randallamplifiers.com/about/news/pr_lynchbox.asp

Re: Randall \"Lynch Box\"

I saw him playing it on tour... Not impressed. Modelled somewhat after a plexi I heard... Umm, thin... not all that cool IMO.

Comment

I've always respected George's ability to find the "extra bit of tone""
      so how do you explain the peavey XXX...umm...incident? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] after all, it was supposed to be peavey's GL signature amp

Comment

How does the Randall MTS get such high gain sounds out of preamp modules with only 2 preamp tubes in them? There must be alot of solid state stuff going on. Either that or they are using some kind of MODELING technology... gasp...

Comment

Well I've played a XXX head, 2x12, and super40. I loved all three of them, so I don't know what "incident" you are referring to? To each his own when it comes to amps. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

well, most of lynch's stuff has a very good tone, whereas a stock XXX is rather fuzzy and definitely overgained. i don't even see a slight similarity here. apparenlty the XXX can be tamed down by using different preamp tubes as well as the EL34 power section.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              How does the Randall MTS get such high gain sounds out of preamp modules with only 2 preamp tubes in them? There must be alot of solid state stuff going on. Either that or they are using some kind of MODELING technology... gasp...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... the phase inverter tube is already in the amp without the modules, so both tubes can be used for gain... that's four gain stages. PLENTY of gain. When you run one stage of gain into another, they are multiplied by each other... let's say you have a gain of 75 per stage (each tube has two gain stages)

75= 1 stage
              5,625 = 2 stages
              421,875 = 3 stages
              3,164,025 = 4 stages

Most amps 'throw away' a lot of gain between stages, actually. The big thing is to use the different stages to sculpt the tone - one stage may add crispness, another one low end, another one more compression, etc.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I saw him playing it on tour... Not impressed. Modelled somewhat after a plexi I heard... Umm, thin... not all that cool IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, you feel that way about most 80ies Metal Tones.. True?

I thought your tastes run heavier and darker.
                Anyway.. most reports of the MTS series has been very positive.. the "Module" idea seems to work.

There is no "Digital Modeling" going on in them.

They basicaly "copy" the flavour of various popular pre-amp circuit designs, using analogue means ie: . no "Modeling Chips" of any kind

It is still.. a tube amp, with a "Modeling" approach if you will.

After going through a bunch of 1 sound amps '87 JCM, Ampeg VT100, , ADA-Rig, 5150, XXL, Tech21-60, Flextone3, El-Diablo.. and digital wonders.. PODXT, GNX2, J-Station.. ect.. (Lot's of tone for recording.. little excitment live)

For me. The above either gave me 1 or 2 great tones (for great expense).. or 30 mediocre to pretty good.

I think the MTS series is a good balance between "quality or quantity" tone-wise.

To my ears.. GL's late 80ies tone is so expressive.. heavy, yet musical.. and no way near thin to MY 30-sumthin ears.

That's why I'm so excited about this new amp.. (or really I should say.. new modules.)

Comment

I wasen't that crazy to try em out, but a friend of mine ordered em, so maybe my opinion will change once I play on em a little

Comment

Lets also add that the XXX was something that never completly finished with lynch and there was alot of crap that went down with that amp and that is why his signature is NOT on it.

As to the tone of this head, who knows how it will sound, i do know lynch has always been good with tone and always improving on it. The only i can say is if it truly sucked that much ass i dont think he would use it. I will have to hear one for myself before i decide.

Comment

+1 with what Twister said about the gain...

Comment

Those modules were initially designed by Bruce Egnater . This guy knows his stuff .

Mark
                        Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

2Loud2Old,
                          I belive Cleve John said that his current sound sucked ass where he used that new Randall, not his 80's Plexi tone wich kicked ass.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            2Loud2Old,
                            I belive Cleve John said that his current sound sucked ass where he used that new Randall, not his 80's Plexi tone wich kicked ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never judge an amp on a live sound, a good sound man can make a crappy amp sound like a million dollars, and a crappy sound man can make the most expensive amp sound like shit. The best way to judge any amp is sit down and play it by itself and in a real life band situation with how you tweak ect..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              If I'm not mistaken, you feel that way about most 80ies Metal Tones.. True?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not at all. I'm quite aware of what his sound is, grew up on it, and this amp doesn't do it very well. At least when I saw month or so ago. Lynch has had awesome tone in the past. He is one of my favs as far as that goes. He has the magic.

Even if i didn't "like" a particular genre's sound, I would not say it was bad tone if it wasn't. If it sounds like it is supposed, I would have to say it sounds appropriate. Not my style but appropriate. I don't like Stevie Rays tone for myself, but it's good tone. Etc etc

And I was within 10 feet of Lynches amp, sound guy didn't botch this. The amp sounded just sounded iffy. Not horrid, just not all that impressive and didn't do what Lynch usually sounds like..

Comment

Working...
                              X