X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A suitable TS808 replacement

What do you blues players suggest.

Re: A suitable TS808 replacement

I would get Mr. ED http://musictoys.com/guitar/pedals/mred.php (scroll down) and a couple of heavy distortion pedals (metal zone or something similar) plug them into a tube head and dial a really nasty heavy distorted sound. GREAT for Billy Gibbons tones (like in Rhythmeen album)
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

of course only if you like this tone http://www.hot.ee/sandimas/ZZ%20Top%20-%20Rhythmeen.mp3
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

well, i don't use one but a bluesman friend of mine LOVES his boss bluesdriver. he has alos given props to the voodoo labs sparkle drive. but his favorite is a tubescreamer ts808 or ts9. sorry!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

A Blues Driver is an awesome pedal (I have a Keeley modified version), but is very different than a TubeScreamer. It is more of a flat pedal and keeps the sound of your amp mostly intact whereas TubeScreamers have the mid hump and cut out some low end.

There are some nice TS boutique spin-offs, but why not just get an actual TS? I've had my TS9 modded by AnalogMan to 808 specs for years and love it. If I was to do over, I would probably consider a Keeley version instead.

Did you have an actual original 808?

Comment

Klon Centaur is awsome overdrive pedal.

Comment

A Fulltone Fulldrive II is a great option. I have the old "Flat Mids" model. The current model with the three switchable options should be great.

The TS-808 RI is very nice, but pricey and really only good for that one tone. Y'all know which one I mean dontcha? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you want something with a bit more guts available, try to find a Reverand Drivetrain II.

Another good TS-9 family style pedal is the Vox Valvetone, although again, you have to find one used.

The Marhsall Bluesbreaker Mk I is great. That's the UK made one i the black box. Never tried the current model. Not in the Tubescreamer family, but a great OD pedal.
              Model 3
              Model 5A
              Model 3B
              Journeyman
              Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Klon Centaur is awsome overdrive pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is the best overdrive i've ever heard and owned. if i didn't have one of those i'd use the ts808 reissue - they are fantastic.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Perhaps an Ibanez SM-9...the Super Metal pedal. Came loaded with 2 of the J-chips. 5 knobs for extra control. I have one and it's great. The name is a bit misleading...does not give you Super death metal sounds.

Comment

hell just get a maxon 808. those are the best.

Comment

I boss sd-1, then do the monty allums mod to it.
                      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

buy a TS9 or TS5, mod it to taste, and also put a socket for the IC so you can try different types. I also like the bad monkey. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

a lot of people really like that bad monkey

Comment

John, go to miaudio.com and order yourself a Blues Pro. Handmade and only $90 shipped. GREAT pedal (probably my fave) and it has enough gain to be used for HR/HM and not just its namesake.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I am a bad monkey

Comment

Working...
                              X