Rackmount EQs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rackmount EQs

What are your opinions on using a rackmount EQ? I am looking to tighten up my sound a little and I didn't know if this was a good way to go about it. I have a Mesa Dual Rec Solo Head and TC Electronics G-Major.

Re: Rackmount EQs

Parametric is the best way for what what you want to do with an EQ.

TC 1140 is what I used after trying a few. Furman PQ-3 is good (noisy but cool) or maybe a Rane product.

You'll be quite impressed at what they can do. A graphic is not at all the same in any way. A parametric is a tone sculpting tool that is extremely valueable.

Comment

Speaking of rack mount EQ's, I found an old Rockman half rack EQ in my pile of guitar crap and tried it out in the loop of both my Recto and F50. The results were astonishing! You can do a ton with an EQ in the effects loop... Hell, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that doing so will make any amp sound good.

I'd like to try a parametric someday.

Comment

I've heard of the "magic" they can do as well. Still haven't bought one yet though.

Comment

I actually have a rockman eq myself laying around. I bought it because after having used a 31 band eq for a bit to see what I wanted in a smaller EQ, I noted the frequency bands that were of the most use for me to manipulate with the 31 bander and the Rockman actually nailed most of them, so I bought it.

He was quite savvy at the time making such a unit that was so dedicated to rock guitarists needs... Friggin noisy, but cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            What are your opinions on using a rackmount EQ? I am looking to tighten up my sound a little and I didn't know if this was a good way to go about it. I have a Mesa Dual Rec Solo Head and TC Electronics G-Major.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you do know that there is a Parametric EQ in your G-Major.
            I also suggest a Parametric EQ. I use a Rane PE15.

Comment

I haven't found that Rockman to be noisy, but I'm sure I'll find out at band practice on Saturday.

JG, this is slightly off topic, but I called Boogie and asked them about using BOSS stomp type EQ's in the loop of the Rectifier. Their conclusion is that it won't work. To use one, I would need some kind of buffering device do to the line levels.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I haven't found that Rockman to be noisy, but I'm sure I'll find out at band practice on Saturday.

JG, this is slightly off topic, but I called Boogie and asked them about using BOSS stomp type EQ's in the loop of the Rectifier. Their conclusion is that it won't work. To use one, I would need some kind of buffering device do to the line levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

My buds have been using the Boss GE7 for solo boost in their 2 channel Recto's forever with no problems. Maybe Boogie changed the design of the loop on the newer Recto's.

I have always felt that Rectifiers sounded the best with either nothing in the loop or a high quality rack mount processor. 5150's on the other hand.. sound better with stomp boxes in the loop rather than processors. It must be the way the loops are designed. I believe the Boogie is parallel and the 5150 is series. Series seems to work better with stomp boxe line levels and parallel works better with rack mount line levels.

Back to the topic... the parametric EQ in the G-Major isn't the easiest to use but it does work. Its just a pain to sweep the frequencies. If I didn't have my stand alone Rane Parametric EQ I would certainly be using the one in the G-Major.

Comment

I'll have to take a look at the Parametric EQ in the G-Major. I am wondering though if this will only affect the effects going thru the loop and not my amp head distortion. The only reason why I asked is because I look at a lot of rigs in the GuitarOne magazine and don't see many EQs. I didn't know if this was something more used after micing the amp in the studio or playing live. I'll take a look at your recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'll have to take a look at the Parametric EQ in the G-Major. The only reason why I asked is because I look at a lot of rigs in the GuitarOne magazine and don't see many EQs. I didn't know if this was something more used after micing the amp in the studio or playing live. I'll take a look at your recommendations. Thanks everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do the majority of the EQ'ing through the console and the racks of EQ's that they have. On stage you will rarely see a pro with an EQ.

Comment

The EQ in the G-Major is not even comparable to a real standalone EQ. It is cool, and does some cool things, but doesn't do as well as a dedicated rack EQ. Better than no EQ I have to say.

Yep, pedalss and rack are diferent impedances and line levels, BUT you could run an EQ pedal in the loop. Many do. Whether it sounds good, or is workin as good as it could is another story. You may like how it sounds and how it affects the amp, or you may try a rack unit and say "WOW, THIS sounds much better".

You'd be surprised what works though.

Comment

Is the TC Electronics unit old? I do not see it on their website. There are a few Ranes on ebay..I'll take a look at them.

Comment

Cleve, how do you feel about the MXR KFK Graphic EQ? Jack.

Comment

Yeah, the TC's are older, so maybe not on their site.

I haven't used the MXR Jack, so, not sure. I have a few graphics laying around and I'm not really much of a fan of them myself. They have their uses with some amps, just not really with what I'm currently using.

Comment

Cool!! I didn`t care for the Boss GE-7 in the front of my amp. Are they supposed to be in the loop? Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X