Fix for noisy power amp fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for noisy power amp fan?

I bought an old Peavey Classic 60 power amp a couple months ago, fired it up to make sure it worked, and then didn't touch it again until tonight. It sounds great, but the fan is really loud. Being new to the rackmount stuff, I don't have any basis for comparison, but the fan noise definitely seems excessive.

Is there any "quick fix" for this, or should I take it to a shop?
    sigpic

Re: Fix for noisy power amp fan?

I've got one of those 50/50's, those are a cool series of amps! You should be able to lube the fan bearing. If you can get to the shaft near the bearing of the fan, a little bit of lube should quiet it down a bit, I like the liquid wrench products w/ ptfe, -don't use wd40, it get's gummy too quick.
    Those power amps need a big fan, as they are known to run hot, so it's probably going to make some noise, -but you probably know what is excessive for fan noise.

Comment

you can also go to mouser.com and buy a new fan, I bet they have one that is damn close. Pete

Comment

Is there anything I need to be aware of if replacing the fan? Any of those high-voltage components that I'm always reading about?
        sigpic

Comment

no, the fan probably runs off of either 12v or 110v... you'll just want to be careful opening up the amp. I'd unplug it, then turn it on with the standby on 'play' where it normally would have output. This will help drain the caps. I think the fans are pretty easy to get to, it's been awhile since I owned one. The old fan should be marked, if not I'd pull it and CAREFULLY turn the amp on - measure with a multimeter the plug that the fan hooked into and see what the voltage is. Then measure it size-wise, and look for same voltage/size fan at mouser. You may even check with peavey, I bet they stock parts for it.

Pete

Comment

The fan on my VHT 2150 has two settings. On the low setting it is very quiet, almost silent. On high it's pretty loud. For a fan. But you know what? When you've got the 2150 cranked, you can barely hear the drummer, fuck the fan!!

Comment

Well, I opened up the beast, and the wiring in this thing is a bit beyond what I'm comfortable with. I'm waiting for an estimate from the local Peavey shop.
              sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't think replacing the fan would cost more than $50 or so, unless it's in there in a really stupid/hard to fix way.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The fan on my VHT 2150 has two settings. On the low setting it is very quiet, almost silent. On high it's pretty loud. For a fan. But you know what? When you've got the 2150 cranked, you can barely hear the drummer, fuck the fan!!

[/ QUOTE ]

when you crank a 2150 you can't hear an old chevy without a muffler.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

A 2150 is louder than Chuck Norris.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      A 2150 is louder than Chuck Norris.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. Only another fist
                      93 USA Soloist EDS
                      USA HT6 Juggernaut
                      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                      X