Laney AOR 50 watt head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney AOR 50 watt head

I was in guitar center, checking out amps and they had a used Laney AOR 50 watt head. I know that some people here have mentioned Laney. It seemed like a pretty solid head, and it sounded amazing. I am a bit of an amp noob, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some help.

They are asking ~$550 for it, which seems a bit high, based on what I have found on the internet. How would I go about haggling at guitar center [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

What kind of cab would go well with it? They had alot of used ones and I really dont know much about this stuff.

It looked to me like some of the tubes were missing from the back, but there is a grill over it, so I couldnt see very well. What is up with that?

I have heard that you can remove some of the power tubes to lower the wattage, is this true?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me with some of this... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Laney AOR 50 watt head

Wow, $550 is way overpriced. I've seen several 50watt AOR's go for about $200 to $250. I definately wouldn't pay over $300 for one.

Comment

I haven't seen AOR 50's sell for $200.00-$250.00 and if I did I would own all of them.
      Mid to high 3's is a good number. I believe the AOR 50 will have a few tube sockets empty because it shares the same chassis as the AOR 100 which has 4 power tubes. The AOR 50 only has 2.
      BTW... Warren Demartini from RATT used them and he had great sound.

Comment

John's right. They go through phases on ebay where people seem to be buying them up desperately, and then they settle down again. A friend of mine got one for $350 shipped, which was a good deal at the time. I wouldn't shell out more than $400 for a mint one.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have an AOR 30 (one channel amp w/6V6 power tubes) That was $299 out the door. I wouldn't pay over $400 for one that was crazy mint, personally.

Pete

Comment

I have an AOR 50 head and an AOR50 1x12 combo. The reason I don't sell them is it's no worth it-I'm better off keeping it. I tried selling my head for $400+ship, but no takers. Any less than that and it isn't worth parting.

The head does have extra holes in the chassis for making it into a 100 watt, but these are just empty holes with no sockets in them. I've thought about using my 1979 100watt Marshall trannies and making this the "Laney from Hell" with (4) 6550's, but the guys here said don't bother.

You cannot remove any tubes. This is only for a 100watt down to 50. You are already down to 50. If it sounded amazing, it's probably got all of it's tubes.

GC are (in my experiences) dicks to deal with for negotiations. The profit they make off of you goes into their pocket, so by bargaining you are taking food out of their mouth. I only buy there when the have grossly mis-priced items (a $330 DR3 for $150, etc.).

I pump my heads through a Marshall 4x12. Pick one that sounds the best with the head you are buying. If you aren't buying there, make notes on the cab you like best - what type it is, and the speakers (very important) then look on ebay or in the paper/craigslist for one.

Comment

As much as a loved it, the highs seemed very harsh. I didnt have a whole lot of time to play around with it, so Im not sure if it was one of the settings, but it seemed that whenever I was plugged into the more sensative input, and was using the AOR channel, the highs were harsh. Is this just the way the head sounds, or is there something wrong with it?

Comment

Hey man, your experience seems similar to mine.

I have a Laney AOR 100w head, that I bought at Guitar Center. I played it once and loved it.

Laney's are known for having lots of highs. BUT, mine aren't harsh at all, I love the high end on this amp. Its got a killer clarity somewhat reminicent of a Plexi. Clear and Clean sounding.

The sticker on mine said $350, but I paid no cash as I traded a Peavey Classic 30 combo for it. Damn good trade, I dont miss my Peavey at all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have two amps, a 1987 Carvin X100B with matching cab w/ Celestions, and my Laney AOR which is sitting on a Peavey XXX cabinet. The XXX cabinet is cool, its not as clear as the celestions at low volumes, but once its cranked the cab is TIGHT and defined.

As for settings, Try this: Presence, Bass, Mids, Treble all set to 5. Bass and Mid boosts activated (pull them out, they're push pull knobs)

Should be pretty beefy, or is on mine.

It may have Sovteks in it, which have a harsh high end and DONT compliment this amp very well.

If you can get a good deal on it, like $300, I'd go for it. Yeah, you could maybe do better on ebay, but they'res something really satisfying about buying it in a store and taking it home that IMO is worth the extra $50-$100. But, you may feel differently.

Comment

Bought my AOR 100 for $200 in very good shape. But I wound up replacing the output tubes pretty soon.

Mine sounds awesome through a Marshall 212 with V30s.

Comment

I tried it again today and didnt notice the problem with the highs at all. I talked to one of the guys about the price and he said $450, which is still kinda high. I guess in a few days I will try to work them down a little more.

I have come across the "Pro Tube" series while researching. Does anyone know how the amps are different?

Comment

As far as I know, Pro Tube = AOR and vice versa.

The full name of my amp is:
                      Laney AOR Series Pro Tube Lead 100.

"AOR" stands for "Advanced Overdrive Response"
                      Referring to Laney's unique cascading preamp design.

They changed the models several times, and the names along with it. Information is somewhat scarce.

How many knobs does it have? there were some models with 6, and most had 8 knobs. (mine has 8 knobs)

Here's a picture of mine, does it look like mine?:

Comment

I got mine for 130 euros. Beat that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's the 30W combo. I never really heard it though because it needs new tubes BAD [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but I'm taking care of that now...

Comment

It is this one...

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/me...ry_Code=AM-MISC

I guess my question is, between the AOR heads, do they all sound the same or pretty close? I dont think I will be buying from GC, because of the price.

Comment

I think thats one of the later ones, with more logical gain knobs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I love my AOR, but my version has a very illogical and downright confusing gain/volume control: 4 knobs, and nothing is clear about their functions.

You just gotta twist em around until you likes what you hears. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

On mine I have preamp 1 volume, preamp 2 volume, preamp one level and master volume. I have no idea of the difference between preamp 1 and preamp 2... Maybe they control 2 tubes each?
                              The preamp one button can be pulled for even more gain.
                              DAMN I can't wait until I retube it so I can hear it.

Comment

Working...
                              X