Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laney AOR 50 watt head

I just pulled My Laney out of mothballs today. Here's an old pic:

I used to use this amp back in the day for just it's power section. I ran an ADA MP-1 pre through it, and got good tones. I could never get used to the shrillness of it's internal preamp's high end. I plugged it in today, to see if I could get some useful tones out of her (The ADA is long gone). As much as I tried, I just could not dial out that shrieky high end. I love the mid and bass boost, but when soloing on the E & B strings it just wasn't sounding good. Can you guys that own this amp suggest any settings? Or possibly suggest some tube (preamp or power) that might help tame the upper end of this beast? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-Kenn

Comment

MY bad taste with these amps are, i had a good friend that had one, and that sucker would blow tubes left and right. But back then i didnt get in depth enough, so maybe it was his fault. I just remember his amp was in the shop so much.

Comment

Thats wierd. I have read alot of reviews of these on harmony central, and almost all say these amps are spectacular.

To be honest, I dont know much at all about tube amps. Nearly everything I have learned has been within this past week.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I just pulled My Laney out of mothballs today. Here's an old pic:

I used to use this amp back in the day for just it's power section. I ran an ADA MP-1 pre through it, and got good tones. I could never get used to the shrillness of it's internal preamp's high end. I plugged it in today, to see if I could get some useful tones out of her (The ADA is long gone). As much as I tried, I just could not dial out that shrieky high end. I love the mid and bass boost, but when soloing on the E & B strings it just wasn't sounding good. Can you guys that own this amp suggest any settings? Or possibly suggest some tube (preamp or power) that might help tame the upper end of this beast? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-Kenn

[/ QUOTE ]

What tubes does it have in it now, and when was the last time you changed them? 50w or 100w?

It could also be the cabinet, I've heard less than incredible things about the fane speakers in those cabs.

For my settings, all the knobs I turn to 5, and activate the bass and mid boosts. The controls ARE active, and knocking down the treble and presence does alot to "help" (as you'd say) the high end. ( I love the high end on this amp, it just has a great openness to it that I dont find it most amps)

Comment

Working...
          X