Soldano SP-77/Carvin T100 review.. UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano SP-77/Carvin T100 review.. UPDATE

Well, guys, its been a while now and I just want to say I am still TOTALLY stoked on my Soldano rack system. It kills. For you new guys:
    Soldano SP77 preamp USA Model
    Carvin T100 power amp modded to accept 5881's and bias'd a little on the warm side.
    TC Electronics G-Major /DMC Ground Control
    Rane PE15 Parametric EQ
    Shure rack mount wireless system
    Wiremold surge protected power strip
    SKB road case
    I run this system through a Mesa Boogie 1/2 back 4 x 12 cab and 2 Randall 2 x 12 slant cabs.

Its the best sound I ever heard. I also have a Vetta HD but thats just for fun.
    This could be the longest I have ever been totally satisfied with an amp.
    My next amp is going to be one of Twisteramps 18W Marshall clones. Green tolex with gold piping.

Re: Soldano SP-77/Carvin T100 review.. UPDATE

Glad to hear you are still happy with the amp man - it is a wonderful thing once you are satisfied with a part of your rig!

Comment

I'm gonna get one of those sp-77's one of these days!

Comment

Glad it's working out for you! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

-Kenn

Comment

So I understand that you like the rack better than the Vetta, but since you have both can you explain the difference in tone between the two? I'm on the fence on starting a rack system, because I currently have a Vetta II. I like the tone that I can dial in, but I'm wondering if a rack-mounted pre-amp and power amp with tubes would give me that push towards the tone I'm looking for. Any info./opinions would be hugely appreciated.

Comment

If it werent for the parametric (ahem), he'd be bummed with it by now, haha...

Comment

when something works...stick with it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                So I understand that you like the rack better than the Vetta, but since you have both can you explain the difference in tone between the two? I'm on the fence on starting a rack system, because I currently have a Vetta II. I like the tone that I can dial in, but I'm wondering if a rack-mounted pre-amp and power amp with tubes would give me that push towards the tone I'm looking for. Any info./opinions would be hugely appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its simple for me actually. I have 2 favorite amp tones:
                Soldano and Matchless.
                The Vetta doesn't do a very good Soldano to my ears. It does tons of other amps good but not that one.
                It does do a VERY convincing Matchless.
                That is why I have both of them. The Vetta also records VERY well and is very convenient to use live in my cover band. In my original band I only need 2 sounds. Clean and heavy. I use the Soldano for that band.
                Once you find your amp tone, nothing else will suffice. I found mine with my Soldano rack system. I bought the Vetta because I am an amp whore and I love tweaking.
                No modeler can replace a kick ass tube amp. Not even the Vetta.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  No modeler can replace a kick ass tube amp. Not even the Vetta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. Thats why I bought my Stiletto. Actually I'd also like another Rectifier as well, but the Vetta is great for a cover band. It's the amp of all trades, the master of none. It covers the spectrum of a lot of amps, but none of them dead on. now if you look at it as a stand alone and your not trying to copy a specific amp tone(although it does that well), you can get some really great aggresive tones out of the Vetta as well. John as well as Pete can attest to this.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I used my Vetta to record a bunch of tracks for Aftermath. I also used the POD for some solo layering and the Soldano for rhythm tracks.

Comment

I use my POD XT to record everything through my PC. If I didn't have that, I would use the Vetta. Sure I'd love to record through a mic'd 4x12 with my Stiletto, but I just can't do that kind of Volume with three kids under 8 that are in bed by 8 everynight. It's just not practical and besides, The Line 6 stuff sounds great.
                      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

the pod soes a very good soldano preset but its only when you play a real soldano with tubes that you know what your missing.my band does some covers so i need the felxablity of the digitech 2120's in my rack to get the tones/fx close but on flat out rock or original stuff i intend to use my Soldano sp 77 straight into the mixer/poweramp-i use the onboard reverb and EQ and thats it-realy good overdrive and great clean bluesy tones when needed.The pod presets can dial in more gain and are still fantastic sounding but when you A/B them in the same rack with the same mixer/speakers you notice how diferent they realy are

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          the pod soes a very good soldano preset but its only when you play a real soldano with tubes that you know what your missing.my band does some covers so i need the felxablity of the digitech 2120's in my rack to get the tones/fx close but on flat out rock or original stuff i intend to use my Soldano sp 77 straight into the mixer/poweramp-i use the onboard reverb and EQ and thats it-realy good overdrive and great clean bluesy tones when needed.The pod presets can dial in more gain and are still fantastic sounding but when you A/B them in the same rack with the same mixer/speakers you notice how diferent they realy are

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The Vetta Soldano has much more gain and it sounds like a Soldano until you hear the real thing. Since I have the real thing.. I use it.

Comment

Well Mr.Jg cable, it's good to finally see you out of the amp of the month club and finally stick to something that you actualy like. L.O.L. I've been tweekin the vettaII to almost perfection and the sound is scary. Mixing an engl with a diezel herbert with deep editing capabilities I can honestly say after 28 years of amp crap I can too be happy and tubeless at the same time.

Comment

good to hear that you finally found a setup that you really like jg....i wish i could say that, too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              as for the line 6 soldano models, i always though the original pod's modern higain (soldano xr 88 preamp ) model was the best the pod has to offer. tight, higain, smooth.
                              is the sp77 anything like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X