Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Tone Knob, So What About A Tone Pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Tone Knob, So What About A Tone Pedal?

I have an affinity for 1 hum, 1 vol guitars, but I have found myself needing a tone knob for the sounds I want to achieve with my rig. So my questions are...

1) Does a wah pedal in the down postition effectively work the same as a tone knob rolled all the way down?

2) If wah doesn't work like that, then is there a pedal that I could get that could do that? I don't really want to send 3 guitars out to be permanently modified, or loos my volume controls.

Re: No Tone Knob, So What About A Tone Pedal?

You could wire up a passive pedal with a tone control that would only take off highs pretty easily. You'd need two jacks, an enclosure, a potentiometer and one capacitor.

Or I'd suggest building or buying a clean boost/preamp, and mod it if it didn't already have a tone control. This way you're also buffering your signal and you can make up for low output pickups.

And no, a wah pedal in the down position won't sound the same. Doesn't to my ear anyways.

Pete

Comment

how bout a concentric pot (the ones that are stacked or whatever)? There would be no drilling involved, so you could have like volume on the bottom, and tone on the top, or whatever you like.
      www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

True, or he could use a push/pull pot with a capacitor wired in there - it wouldn't give him control over the amount, as it would be a fixed tone control/treble cut, but hey, it would work.

Pete

Comment

You could take something like a Ernie Ball Volume Pedal and modify it as a tone knob instead of volume. All you need is a .22uf capacitor. (or .47uf for a "darker" tone)

Pretty easy. I considered doing it at one time, but my guitars have tone knobs, so its redundant for me at this point.

Comment

Could you try an EQ pedal?

The wah pedal would make it really muddy I would think.

Comment

Tone knob? Who needs a tone knob? Hehe

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You could take something like a Ernie Ball Volume Pedal and modify it as a tone knob instead of volume. All you need is a .22uf capacitor. (or .47uf for a "darker" tone)

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this idea the best. you figure that i could just add this to my morley volume/wah?

Comment

You want to modify your Morley?

Thats gonna be very complicated, and I dont really know how to begin to tell you where to start on that.

The thing about the Ernie Ball is that its esentially a normal volume pot mounted onto a footswitchable platform. . no PC board, no complicated electronics, and could be modded quite easily.

Never tried it, theoretically it should work. They're may be some unforseen issues with the plan I may have overlooked, but I think its really that simple.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The thing about the Ernie Ball is that its esentially a normal volume pot mounted onto a footswitchable platform. . no PC board, no complicated electronics, and could be modded quite easily.

Never tried it, theoretically it should work. They're may be some unforseen issues with the plan I may have overlooked, but I think its really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i'm sold. i am going to hit ebay for said volume pedal and see if i can't get this to work. where do i get capacitors from? do i need to order them from the internet, or can i just go down to radio shack and pick some up?

Comment

OOPs, dont get .22 and .47, those are wrong, I meant .022 and .047 (got the decimal point wrong, another monday detail. . . harharharhar!)

Radio Shack has .022 and .047 uf Capacitors. That. . .and wire, solder, and good cheap soldering irons.

Im really interested in seeing how this works. I'll help you when you get it if you need any.

Comment

at how much capacitors cost, I'd probably get some nicer ones like orange drops - and get a variety of sizes from a place like mouser. .022, .033, .047, .068 at least. See what you like.

pete

Comment

Dont you have to buy in bulk from mouser?

Comment

nope.

Comment

what's mouser?

Comment

Working...
                              X