• Mini Amp Fest: Bogner Diezel Carvin Mesa Orange

So my friend had a mini amp fest over his house. In attendence were:

Bogner Shiva
    Carvin Legacy
    Diezel Herbert
    Mesa MKIIC+
    Orange Rockerverb 100

Here's the short, short version:

I NEED A HERBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Short version:

The Legacy was mine and I A/B'd it extensively with the Shiva and came away VERY IMPRESSED with the Carvin. I am glad I bought it and tried it out. Price no object, I'd take it over the Shiva... no kidding.

I dislike greenback loaded cabs. My friend has a nice vintage Marshall cab but, it is just not my cup of tea.

I have NOTHING bad to say about a Diezel other than $3,600 new is steep [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mesa MKIIC+ amps are not versatile enough for me. I wouldn't be able to use one live but, it is a GREAT studio amp.

Orange Rockerverb amps deserve to be more well known.

Bogner Shiva has a nice edge of break up clean tone (beats the Legacy there). The overdrive is very clear and hi-fi like.

2 Mesa Black Shadow 90 speakers mixed with 2 EV's make a KILLER speaker choice for a cabinet.

Oh yeah, if you like pedals, you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to go to www.miaudio.com and pick up a Blues Pro for $90 shipped.

Anybody own any of these amps?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Re: Mini Amp Fest: Bogner Diezel Carvin Mesa Orang

I have been using a Legacy as my main amp for almost 5 years now. I try every amp I run across and nothing has made me want to replace the Legacy. I like the Legcay better than my Marsahll 2205 also.

Comment

Friend of mine has a rockerverb 100, nice amp, I just think they look retarded. Not real flexible, but the overdrive channel has a good blend of warmth, sag and clarity that is nice. Having said that, I still prefer my JSX. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have been using a Legacy as my main amp for almost 5 years now. I try every amp I run across and nothing has made me want to replace the Legacy. I like the Legcay better than my Marsahll 2205 also.

[/ QUOTE ]

That amp has so much midrange it just floors you. The guy from Lit uses them and i have always liked his tone.

[ QUOTE ]
        Friend of mine has a rockerverb 100, nice amp, I just think they look retarded. Not real flexible, but the overdrive channel has a good blend of warmth, sag and clarity that is nice. Having said that, I still prefer my JSX. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the 50 watt rocket with the 6L6's in a store around here. Sounded good but i did not get to crank it enough to truley see what it had. For the price though i believe it is right up there with the rec's, just voiced more towards hardcore/metal/rock and from what i have heard people say they suck for downtuned

Comment

I've got a Mark 2C (not the plus) with simul class, and eq (combo 1x12) from 1983. It's a damn good amp, and has a great tone (it's hard to get a great rock dirty and clean tone, based on the 2/4 volume knobs) and you can use a boost, to get an over the top tone.

I use my triple recto more than the 2c, but the 2c is a fun amp. I can see why they sell for so much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the 50 watt rocket with the 6L6's in a store around here. Sounded good but i did not get to crank it enough to truley see what it had. For the price though i believe it is right up there with the rec's, just voiced more towards hardcore/metal/rock and from what i have heard people say they suck for downtuned

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it had the 6L6s in it? I tried out a 50 on Saturday, and I could have sworn that the guy told me it had 6V6s and the 100 watter had the 6L6s.

Either way, I really liked the sound of it. It certainly didn't have a pile of gain, but I'll bet with a pedal in front of it, it would sound killer.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Are you sure it had the 6L6s in it? I tried out a 50 on Saturday, and I could have sworn that the guy told me it had 6V6s and the 100 watter had the 6L6s.

[/ QUOTE ]
              from the orange website:

Rockerverb 50 Head - 50 Watts - 4 x 6V6

Rockerverb 100 Head - 100 Watts - 4 x EL34 / 6L6GC / KT88 / 6650

(not sure if that means the 100 can run any of those or what)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                from the orange website:

Rockerverb 50 Head - 50 Watts - 4 x 6V6

Rockerverb 100 Head - 100 Watts - 4 x EL34 / 6L6GC / KT88 / 6650

(not sure if that means the 100 can run any of those or what)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so. That's what the salesman told me anyway. I really like the Orange. I would buy one if I didn't have something on the horizon.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

could have been the 6v6's, i can defintly see the saleman being wrong.

Comment

Played a VH4 and an Ecstacy today... dug both but, the Bogner MUST have an A/AB switch and I only like on Class A with the OLD voicing position on the rear switch. The VH4 is a totally different vibe than the Herbert. Way cool. Also play and Uberschall but, did not like the tones it had with the gain past 5. The clean channel was actually pretty good on the Uber.

I also happened to pick up a custom Uberkab today [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to have a Shiva (6L6, 2x12 version). It was a decent sounding amp but my Matchless Chieftain did everything bigger and better (except channel switch) so the Shiva went bye bye.

Comment

Where does the legacy excell at. What tones?
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Where does the legacy excell at. What tones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sustaining notes for a year or two [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Artificial harmonics, legato techniques... lead type crap. The clean channel really is great but, you HAVE to use a pedal to get it to break up. Here's a clip of it doing everything but clean:

Legacy

Guitar Head Cab Mic... no pedals or efx in that clip.

Comment

Robo, sounds great, what settings were you using on that clip? I've never got mine to sound like that but I rarely use the built in overdrive channel. Haven't experimented enough I guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Robo, sounds great, what settings were you using on that clip? I've never got mine to sound like that but I rarely use the built in overdrive channel. Haven't experimented enough I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be a dumb question, but why would you use an amp like the Legacy, or any other higher gain amp and not use the distortion channel for distortion?

Comment

Working...
                              X