I need a good tube combo to run my GT6 through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good tube combo to run my GT6 through

I've been using a Marshall MG amp and running my Boss processor through the clean channel. The problem is that it's clean channel has a sharpness to it that I can't get rid of.

When I go for a clean model of say a fender blackface it still has that sharpness. I thought I might try a good tube amp for warmness and go from there. (Don't get me wrong, the shredding is not a problem).

I've looked a Roland, Fender Twin Rvb, Randall, Carvin, Hughs Kettner.....

Suggestions Please?

bob

Re: I need a good tube combo to run my GT6 through

I've been pleasantly surprised by the old (1970s) Peavey Classic combos. They only had one channel, which could go from clean to AC/DC-type overdrive, using a solid state preamp into a 6L6 tube power section. I have gigged with both 2x12 and 4x10 versions of the 50-watt Classic, and they sounded ridiculously good used with a distortion pedal.

They're also very cheap. You can pick up a 50-212 for $200-300 on a regular basis.
    sigpic

Comment

Look out for the Laney VC and LC combos. They're very versatile for shred and clean tones.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I looked at a Crate tube 50 today. I didn't have time to hook it up. They wanted $800.

Has anyone here used one of the Randall G3s? They're a hybrid with a tube in the preamp circuit.

bob

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I looked at a Crate tube 50 today. I didn't have time to hook it up. They wanted $800.

Has anyone here used one of the Randall G3s? They're a hybrid with a tube in the preamp circuit.

bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually know what those sound like in a week or two when my friend gets em in his store. Depending on how much you want to spend, a Randall RG50TC combo might be cool. Those Peavey Classics are also great, and especially if your running a GT-6 for your main tones (assuming you are, correct me otherwise) those should work fine. Those Crate V Series are great too. Comparably cheap and loud as hell, even the lower wattage amps

Comment

One of my favorite combos is the old Carvin X60b or X112. Great clean and can usually be found fairly cheap used.

Comment

If you like Opeth's tones... GT6's thru Laney amps is exactly what they use.

Other good combos to warm up the signal (and their drive channels are great too):

Peavy Classic 50
              Legacy Combo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

+2 on the Peavey classics, great values used. There's a lot of low-cost modding available for those as well.
                My friend has the Crate v32, it does fendery strat cleans very well (w/ a strat).

Comment

Atomic Reactor 112.

Comment

any vintage silverface fender combo. especially if you are using the GT-6 for all your tones. those combos range are available in wattage from 18 to 100. i'd look at those for sure.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

+1 for the Atomic Reactor 1 x 12.

Comment

laney or carvin

and find one that has an fx loop so you can bypass the pre section of you amp.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

No one mentioned Sunn or Ampeg. There are some older 70's amps out there that really excelled at delivering cleans. I would think you'd be able to find an older Peavey or Carvin that would do the trick for reasonable money altho a 70's Fender twin would probably do really well for this too.

Comment

Besides a poweramp, I had the best results with a Carvin X100B head.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually know what those sound like in a week or two when my friend gets em in his store. Depending on how much you want to spend, a Randall RG50TC combo might be cool. Those Peavey Classics are also great, and especially if your running a GT-6 for your main tones (assuming you are, correct me otherwise) those should work fine. Those Crate V Series are great too. Comparably cheap and loud as hell, even the lower wattage amps

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I wanted a sweet warm clean. I can pretty much do anything I want with the amp mods for hard driving sounds. It's just that my Marshall clean channel has that Marshall twang that comes through when I use a lower gain model settings on the GT6.

Those old peavey VTs look good, or a Randall RM80. I'd prefer new, but since new tube amps are pretty expensive, used is prolly the way to go. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X