Thorogood amp tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorogood amp tone

Listening to some George Thorogood live and realized that I can't get anywhere near that tone with a JCM800, VS100, or Marshall lead 12 (go figure!)

Time to break out the P90s, but what dinky amp to use?

Thinking about looking at a VC508, Pro Junior, or some other dinky tube amp <= $200

Any informed opinions?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Thorogood amp tone

I think I remember reading he uses boogies? (dunno which amp though, or how to get a similar tone for $200ish..)

Comment

not that this helps, but i can get a very similar tone from my rivera m100 on the clean channel. there is a function that is (stupidly) called "ninja boost", it basically emulates more of a cranked power tube distortion. by using that and cranking the mids to 10 and setting the preamp around 5 or 6, i can get close to that girthy distortion he gets.

i have heard vox amps that wil get close too.

some smaller fender combos, like cranked blackface princetons will get close too.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

He has a rather 'open' sound but whatever he's playing through, it sounds like it is at a good clip for volume.

Maybe a epiphone electar, they made a 30 watt version and a ten watt w/ a 8" speaker. Alot of people use these with a weber speaker upgrade. Maybe something like a Ampeg Jet or a VT22.

I would think his sound would be more in the p-90's and a chambered or semi acoustic guitar tho.

Comment

His tone sounds like VOX to me. I bet if you took a small Fender tube combo and cranked the mids you would be in that general territory.

Comment

He plays fully hollow vintage "cheapo" Gibsons with P-90s, right?

I would guess a pinned black face small combo with one of those guitars would give you that tone. However, I am just guessing here.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

In the pics on his site looks like he is using Fender heads and mesa cabs. I think Mike's idea would get you pretty close.

Comment

Back in the day when he was around alot (Bad to the Bone/One Bourbon One Scotch days) I saw him live a few times, and he was using a bunch of old Fenders.
                His tone is similar to Brian Setzer's...that same "cranked Fender" tone...

Comment

Yeah, I think he favors the ES-125, and they are completely hollow if I remember correctly. He must be a master of controlling feedback.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Es 125 through a fender super reverb as I remember. Try a guitar with p90 & a pro junior would be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X