5150, not just a metal amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150, not just a metal amp

So i am flicking through the channels, and i land on morrisy live in concert and it is the last five minutes of the show, and sure enough i catch one of the guitarist rigs, and right next to his vox is a peavy 5150 half stack. The show is on again tonight at 2am so i am gonna tape the whole thing, for some reason i like morrisy. But just goes to show the 5150 is just not a metal amp, i didnt get a close enough look to see if it was a 1 or 2, will check later.

Re: 5150, not just a metal amp

Cool. I dig Morrissey and The Smiths too. Sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

my old man has one and plays classic rock with it

like father like son (but i play metal)

Comment

Ted Nugent and Brad Whitford also used them.

Comment

Lower gain tubes clean them up pretty nicely.

Comment

I like the clean/rhythm side of mine (early block letter), I'm not sure why they get such a bad rap for cleans.
            I intend to try some different tubes in V1 for smoother overdrive, I think the chinese tubes it came with could be improved, -but it still sounds good as is. I've got some old Sylvanias and GEs to try out.
            Those are more versatile amps than they get credit for.
            Mogar; what have you tried for lower gain tubes?

Comment

i dunno, i never could get a decent clean sound with my 5150 and my G major. it just doesnt have the clean glassy sound that you want in a clean channel, its very.....eh, like a gain channel with the gain turned down lol

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                i dunno, i never could get a decent clean sound with my 5150 and my G major. it just doesnt have the clean glassy sound that you want in a clean channel, its very.....eh, like a gain channel with the gain turned down lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, that's why I sold it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

I have some 6L6GB's in the power section of mine. Took alot of the buzz out and left the mid-range grind in. My rhythm channel is a bit warmer too. This is just what my ears have heard though. It still sounds like a 5150, just kinda "warm". But of course, I love the 5150 voicing so my opinion my be a wee bit biased.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have some 6L6GB's in the power section of mine. Took alot of the buzz out and left the mid-range grind in. My rhythm channel is a bit warmer too. This is just what my ears have heard though. It still sounds like a 5150, just kinda "warm". But of course, I love the 5150 voicing so my opinion my be a wee bit biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is interesting - I have a quad of GT 6L6GB's that I might try throwing in the amp. I love the mid grind too, just sometimes wish it was less buzz saw ish. I think I need to get some darker tubes for the preamp as well, since I'm using a mix of JJ, Tung-Sol, and Chinese.

Comment

I still have the stock 12ax7's in mine. I was gonna get some new ones, but I like the way my amp sounds now.

Comment

Working...
                      X