Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building my own amplifier.. BASIC questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my own amplifier.. BASIC questions..

This summer I'd be greatly interested in building my own amp. I'm thinking about a 5W all tube combo with just volume and tone knobs basically. Something easy that should be fun to accomplish without turning into a nightmare. Does anyone make a kit that would satisfy me? If not, what good websites would help me get the materials and how much would it most likely cost me? I'm not looking for perfect answers and yes I know these questions are VERY vague, but I'm guessing I could shell out about 200 dollars on this, would it be enough? Thanks guys... Ask if you need more details but I'm not sure I'd even know what else I'd want [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Building my own amplifier.. BASIC questions..

Have you been to http://ax84.com/ yet? If not, go look around there a bit at the P1 and P1X as good starter amps. There's a link to kits for these. However, I'm guessing the kits are only designed for North American power, so that might not work very well. You might want to check out the kits at http://www.madamp.biz/ for something setup for European power. Depending on what you want to do, $200 could barely get you there or not even get you close. You can probably build a barebones kit in a metal chassis (no wood cab, no combo with speaker, etc.) for around $200, if you don't have to purchase tools with that money. You'll probably have several decent sized purchases the first time around for tools and parts you don't think of until you're into the project.

Comment

I checked out the Madamp thing and I think I found just what I need! Thanks!

Comment

www.torresengineering.com has a lot of great info on amps! they got parts too! hope it helps!
        I love admins!

Comment

I'd run from torres personally... I own dan's book, and it requires some sifting. I tried to order parts from them before and it was a nightmare. ax84 or madamps would be much better. FYI, on the ax84 projects, you can just get a hammond 'export' or universal transformer that has multiple taps for different countries.

Pete

Comment

I'm trying to do the samething by building my own amp. I just want to see if I can do it personally. Good luck man! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
            X