Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound City Amps - Can anyone tell me about them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound City Amps - Can anyone tell me about them.

I have read all the reviews in "harmony-central" Sound City Amps.. the 50 watt and 100 watt heads...and even found a few sites about them on the net, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me some "first hand" info about them. How do they sound....likes - dislikes, etc.? Also about anything about the Sound City Combos as well?

Re: Sound City Amps - Can anyone tell me about them.

I honestly have not tried any of their stuff. I'll share this though. My brother had a Sound City bass head back in the late 70's, I think. He always referred to it as the "Sounds Shitty". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I thought it was ok, but what do I know? He has used Ampeg SVT's since then.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Re: Sound City Amps - Can anyone tell me about t

poor mans hiwatt.

very punchy, clean and clear. not gonna get dirt without going deaf or using a pedal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        poor mans hiwatt.

very punchy, clean and clear. not gonna get dirt without going deaf or using a pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. That about sums it up!!

Comment

They're heavy as hell!
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I seem to remember the Rick Nielson guy from Cheap Trick used them if I'm not mistaken.

Be a good amp to run a preamp into. Solid tube output from a classic design.

Comment

Back in the old days from 1979 to 1982-3 I gigged with a Sound City 120 watt head and 2 red Marshall 4 x 12 cabs loaded with JBL's. I am pretty sure it was was virtually identical to the Hiwatt 120w head. If I recall... it even had the same manufacturer printed on the plate on the back. All you had to do was put a Hiwatt logo on it and you really couldn't tell the difference. It was very loud, very clean sounding and built like a tank. I ran a MXR Distortion +, a phase 90 and an analog delay pedal in front of it. I think I had really good tone (it was a long time ago!!)
              I paid $100.00 for it at a Sam Ash end of year used gear sale.

Comment

They have Partridge transformers which were regarded as being of good, solid construction. These are the same transformers used in Hiwatts and other UK made amps and I believe that makes up for part of the amps character and similarities to other amps using the same trans. Pretty much nailed in other descriptions..clean, more loud than you'll ever need and yes, they were often joked as 'sound shitty' but they are a good canvas for adding outboard stuff.

Comment

The best sounding cab I ever had was a old really beat up, particle board made, front loaded, super heavy (weight wise and sound wise!) Sound City cab. I could never figure out what speakers were in it though, they were completly un marked.

Comment

They were very well built, essentially bullet-proof amps. Tonally very loud and clean like some have already stated...very much in the Hiwatt camp. They take most overdrive pedals very well and are typically a bargain to buy. If you like to get your overdrive/distortion from a pedal, these are a great option.

Comment

Thanks guys....I think you have said it all !

Comment

VERY LOUD! Was using one for a while, it's bloody LOUD!!!

Fong

Comment

Working...
                        X