Crates and Traynor Amps anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crates and Traynor Amps anyone?

Can anyone give me the 411 on Crates and Traynor Amps? Are they any good? What are they best used for? Which are the best ones to look for?

Re: Crates and Traynor Amps anyone?

Try them for yourself. I'm not sure about Traynor, but you're about to get a bunch of people post on how crappy Crate amps are, and how you'd be better of shredding your hard earned money.

By the way, I have a Crate BV120 in case you're wondering, and couldn't be happier with it.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I actually really liked the dirty channel on the YCV50 (the blue one with the stock VIN30). The clean was a little lackluster to me. If I were in the market for a 1X12 combo with a killer distorted tone (and no boost pedals are needed) that one would be it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

i like the crate vc series of amps. a good bang for the buck.

Comment

I think both make really good low priced all-tube combos. But probably not enough gain for metal, but good for bluesy rock to medium gain. The Traynor has that cool speaker emulator DI out, I don't know about the crate. The Traynors appear to more medium power, 40 watts+. The VC's look to be mostly low-power tube amps, which is great 'cause you get to warm up the power tubes and get some natural gain and warmth. My friend plays through the 30watt or so crate, it sounds great with a strat, for vintage spanky strat stuff.
          I think the crates are cheaper, I also like the new low powered tube Fenders.
          I think it would be cool to put a good high gain pedal in front of one of those lower power tube amps (20w or less), and drive a closed back cabinet, that should be great for higher gain stuff, -and louder than you might think. One of my friends has an older Champ (6 or 8w), and a fender pro jr (16w?), he tells me how great they sound plugged into his 2x12 Mesa V-30 cab.

Comment

-oh, I wish Fender or Crate would make little low power tube heads, priced similarly to the combos.

Comment

Crate has the VC30
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Traynor YCV80 actually has quite a bit of gain.

I remember Dave or the other guy from BC (Severed Serenity) used one to record their version of Death's "The Philosopher" and it sounded awesome!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have the YCV80Q (4*10inches). I do not put anything other than my guitar cable in it and it sounds very good. Lots of gain (but you need to max it out to get a good metal tone) and it doesnt overwhelm anything. Solid Warranty for US and Canada. The 80 series also have a scoop options for death metal stuff. Really versatile and studio friendly.

Comment

I have the Crate V Series V1512. It has been a great trouble free tube amp. I put a Boss DS1 in front and set the gain at 6 and get a nice 80's Lynch tone at lower volumes.Although I will say that this amp sounds better at lower volumes and tends to sound thin when turned up. It is however very loud for 15 watts.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The Traynor YCV80 actually has quite a bit of gain.

I remember Dave or the other guy from BC (Severed Serenity) used one to record their version of Death's "The Philosopher" and it sounded awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have that sucker...It has a ton of gain and it's tight as hell.

The clean is awesome...lot's of shimmer and depth.

I just wish they made a head version.

I didn't think the other YCV's sounded anything like the 80...The YCV 80 with the 4x10 mudded out before you could get the gain up to a "Metal" level.

They told me they were making a head 4 years ago...I gave up waiting.

2 effect loops...parallel and loop thru. Auto biasing...Great set up.

And they go for about $600-700 US.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                      X