Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question for vet metal players out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for vet metal players out there.

My son has been playing now for about three years and recently auditioned for a local metal group. Sounds like they want him for lead and he's wanting to upgrade his amp.

Currently he's playing a Crate GLX1200H with the 4X12 speaker cab. Not a bad SS amp in itself, but he's thinking it may not cut though the mix for his lead work.
    He's been using a GNX4 to get the sounds he wants currently and I assume he'll continue to use that, at least for some efects or modeing even.

The other guitar player uses a BV120H with some rack effects for rythem work. Oh yeah they play down-tuned stuff, drop-d on his Charvel and C tuned on a Minarik Diablo I let him borrow.

He was looking at the BV and I told him they have mixed reviews, but are cheaper used. I told him to look/try out some Peavey models (XXX, Newer Valve King). He keeps looking at Marshall stuff of course too.

Trouble is just turned 16 and has no job, no money,no prospects,LOL. So money like always is a BIG issue.

Can anyone give him some good suggesttions on things to try. Would going with a Power amp only ( peavey 60/60 or somthing) be a good option, if wants to use the GNX 4 or another floorbaord pre-amp?

thanks

Re: question for vet metal players out there.

Can't go wrong with a Peavey 5150 100w head for high-gain stuff. Cleans are so-so, but don't know if that would effect the music he'd be playing with this group. You can usually score a 5150 head in the neighborhood of $500-600 on Ebay.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Can't go wrong with a Peavey 5150 100w head for high-gain stuff. Cleans are so-so, but don't know if that would effect the music he'd be playing with this group. You can usually score a 5150 head in the neighborhood of $500-600 on Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that, best bang for the buck and will be perfect for him.

Comment

+1 5150. very inexpensive, very good for metal.

Comment

Definitely hands down... 5150. He'll kill the other guitarist...

Comment

He will rule the stage with a 5150. I would advice against using the GNX4 modeling or preamps with it though. If he has to use the GNX4 tell him to use it for effects only (if thats possible).

Maybe he should try his Crate out first to see if it could cut it. My guess is it won't for the drop tuning stuff.

If it doesn't cut it and if he is a good responsible son that does his chores and gets good grades and is repectful to his dad I would send him to that band with the most kick ass rig on the planet.
            The first impression you make to a band is the most important one.

Comment

+1 for the 5150. i use one, it's a killer metal rhythm machine. if he never has to play clean stuff he can also set up the rhythm channel for his rhythm tone, using the leads as a gain and volume boost so his leads WILL be heared.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                +1 for the 5150. i use one, it's a killer metal rhythm machine. if he never has to play clean stuff he can also set up the rhythm channel for his rhythm tone, using the leads as a gain and volume boost so his leads WILL be heared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. The 5150 works great set up like that.
                He could also put the GNX4 in the loop, set it up for solo boost and effects and switch it on and off with the effects loop on/off button on the 5150.

Comment

And another for the 5150, or XXX if he wants a bit more versatility and better cleans. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Or this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Ultra-Plus-12...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

if he's using the gnx to get his sound, than get a crate power block.
                      it's solid state, plenty of clean headroom and it's cheap.
                      you can probably get 2 power blocks, and another cab and run the gnx4 in stereo for the price of a 5150.

Comment

another +1 for the 5150. I've got a combo and for the short cash it cost me it is truly a kick ass amp [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

OK, you guys may fry me here but in addition to a 5150, which would be a VERY good #1 choice, I always thought the Line6 heads were good metal amps. They are a little more forgiving with "hand tone" if you're not a perfect marksman on the fretboard. The Flextone HD's are inexpensive too and of course come with built in efx.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            you can probably get 2 power blocks, and another cab and run the gnx4 in stereo for the price of a 5150.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Why would you need two Powerblocks? It's got three speaker outputs... one for an 8-ohm cab mono, the other two are for 4 ohms (run one 8-ohm cab off of each output). And the two jacks for the effects loop also double as a line in, so you can run both outs of the GNX4 into it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i used to tour with a danish death metal band that used flextone heads. it was OK....nothing outstanding, but on the bright side they had the very same sound every night. setup also was really easy...plug and play like.
                              still, from what i could tell, our all tube marshall setup crushed them every night [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but then again, we also blew one powertube, so i guess that's the price you gotta pay for that sound. iirc the line 6 heads never caused problems, and they looked like they went through hell, trust me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X