I may sell my amp, and I need advise on power amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may sell my amp, and I need advise on power amps

Well right now I have a Laney AOR 30 pro tube combo... And I need to retube it. But this is Edinburgh, and once I get the tubes, I'd have to wait about 2 weeks without the amp to have it rebiased. Yipee. That is if I even CAN bring to the store. Or even get the tubes as I can only use paypal.

Or...

I could sell it locally, get about 250 pounds for it, and with the rest of the money (I should have 350 pounds maybe?) buy a 2X12 and a poweramp.
    Now that's where I need you guys' help hehe... Where would I be able to get this for cheap? I have a preamp already, it's a POD 2.0. The poweramp wouldn't even need to be that powerful, hell even 10W would be enough for me.

Also, what's the main difference between a 1X12 and a 2X12..? For bedroom use am I just better off with the smallest one in size? Or do 2X12 just sound better?
    Thanks people...

Re: I may sell my amp, and I need advise on power amps

This is what I would do.
    Call or email Bob from Eurotubes. Explain to him exactly what tubes you have in your Laney and I bet he could hook you up with a retube kit that would be safe to install without biasing the amp. He knows what most amps are set at from the factory.

Comment

Re: I may sell my amp, and I need advise on power amps

I could do that yeah... I'd get hit hard on taxes though and without a credit card I couldn't pay them, so importing is pretty much out of the question now. But if he can help, I'll try, thanks!

Comment

Re: I may sell my amp, and I need advise on power

If you sell that, check out tech21. They have something called the Power Engine 60. Its a power amp built into a 1x12 cab.

Comment

pott,

Your Laney is a sealed cab 1x12. Is the 2x12 an open back you are thinking of?

Your tubes are a pair of 6V6's. They aren't as critical to get biased as a pair of EL34's 6L6's or 6550's running full tilt.

Are you sure the tubes are what's wrong with it? Tell me again what issues you are having. I have the AOR50 combo, almost the same as yours (just heavier LOL!).

Comment

Well the distortion is very uneven and pretty fizzy. The sound 'wobbles' a lot. I don't know much about tube amps unfortunately so I can't tell much more. I'll give it a more thorough try tomorrow for sure. But that's what I observed so far.
            And I realized, I don't need a poweramp + cab, I just need another combo, DUH. If i can get cheap tubes (looking good right now) I may keep it, but I'm looking into a Laney LC15R.
            What happens if I install the powertubes without biasing the amp?
            Also, biasing doesn't seem so hard... With rubber gloves and no one within a 15 miles radius, how safe is it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X