V Amp Pro midi help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Amp Pro midi help needed

I'm probably just an idiot, but I can't figure out how to assign presets to my midi foot controller. There's nothing in the manual about it, nor on their website. Do I have to get their FCB1010 controller? I have a simple 5 button controller which will cover all the presets I'll ever use, and it works great with my other rack processors. What am I missing??
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: V Amp Pro midi help needed

[img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Mark, what are the buttons on your controller? And what is it?

There is no midi chart in the V amp manual?

I have a FCB1010 I programmed for my J-station, which I use in the loop of my amp for effects only (with the models turned off). But I've never owned a V amp. Still, I'm pretty sure we can get ya going...
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Well, there's a midi implementation chart but if I'm reading it correctly it only shows functions 1 thru 90 for individual effects parameters. Nothing shows how to assign a channel for a particular preset. The controller is just a very simple Yamaha 6 button controller, with one button being a bypass. I programmed it to work with my J Station, my Quadraverb, and an ART multiverb with no problems so I'm assuming it should work with the V Amp. If this helps, here's the manual. The midi chart is on pg 17. Thank you Kieth! You're the midimaster! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
        USER MANUAL

Comment

Is this simple yamaha 6 button controller programmable at all?

Comment

Um...yeah I think so. For example, on my Quadraverb I just pick my pre-set, then go into midi mode and assign the preset to a button on the foot controller by pushing the button I want to bring it up. Then every time I step on that button it goes to that preset. Oh shit, is this going to be time consuming? I know how you attorneys charge like $150.00 per hour. I'm not sure I can afford this help! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Do you have a payment plan??

Comment

Okay, then, one more freaking time, what model is the controller? Yamaha 6 button just gets me some odd woodwind looking midi thingy. And you don't blow your V amp, do you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith

ps I have never billed at $150 an hour. Not even when I was starting out. Sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oops sorry, it's a model MFC06. Does that help?

Comment

Well, not to rehash the "duh" stuff, but if I understand you correctly, you've never made program changes on the V amp via midi, right?

From Behringer's site,
                  "If you are convinced that the computer / sequencer is sending MIDI commands, but the BEHRINGER unit is not showing any signs of receiving these - you should check the MIDI cables. Perhaps you can check this against another unit which you know will respond to MIDI messages?
                  You should also confirm the settings in the MIDI configuration menu of the BEHRINGER device. Make sure that MIDI is activated and that the unit will respond to incoming control & program changes. Tip - if there is only one unit to be controlled - select the omni mode. This ensures that the device responds to MIDI messages which are transmitted on all MIDI channels."

So for starters, I'd make sure that MIDI is activated on the V amp and set it omni. Per the yamaha manual, the MFC06 will only transmit on MIDI channel 1. So either make sure the V amp is set to receive on omni or 1.

If so, when the MFC06 is in program mode, switches 1 - 5 really SHOULD be sending program change messages to the VAMP.

Here's a little from the FCB1010 setup notes that might help, even though it isn't a 1010. This was supposed to be on the VAmp Pro, but the notes say VAmp 2. Same thing? I dunno.

"9. On the V-AMP 2, press the BANK UP and BANK DOWN ‘arrow’ keys at the same time, and you will see the ‘SETUP’ LED light up, indicating that you are in SETUP mode.
                  10. Press button A (MIDI) to access the MIDI function on the V-AMP 2.
                  11. If the display shows ‘1’ it means that the V-AMP 2 is configured to receive and send data on MIDI channel 1. If the display doesn’t show a ‘1’, use the ‘arrow’ keys to set the value to ‘1’.
                  Press the TUNER key to exit SETUP mode on the V-AMP 2.
                  12. To select V-AMP 2 PRESET B in BANK 3, press footswitch 1 on the FCB1010 twice, so that ‘11’ appears in the display. On the V-AMP 2, the display will show a ‘3’ for BANK 3 and button ‘B’ of the A-E buttons will be illuminated."

According to that MIDI chart in your manual, it will transmit and receive program changes 0-124. According to the MFC06 manual, switches 1 - 5 only send program changes 1 - 5, so you'll have to tell the VAmp to make the banks you want to access / switch 1 - 5. Unless you can set it to do 'bank up / bank down' and you want to cycle through all bazillion presets one at a time.

Shit if I know if any of this is going to help any, but it sure has made my head hurt. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You want the controller manual? A drink, maybe? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Keith, you have no idea how much I appreciate your help here! Sorry I didn't get any further tonight, but after your last post I got like 15 freaking phone calls. I think you're on to something here, but I'm too tired to screw with it any more tonight. I'll work on it some more tommorow eve, and update you. Thanks again brother! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Got it working this morning. Due to the fact that the MFC06 only sends program changes 1 thru 5, it would only call up banks A-1 thru A-5 on the V Amp. That's what clued me in. The workaround was to re-asign the pre-sets I wanted to banks A-1 thru A-5, and bingo! Keith, I owe ya one! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Crap, did I really have something to do with the outcome? WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

Comment

Well, I suppose you did! I've been beating my head against the wall for a week and now she's working! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Glad you got it. Sometimes I just have to step back and start over. You probably just needed a break... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X