Marshall Splawn 1987xl- I bought one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Splawn 1987xl- I bought one.

Somebody traded it for a mesa boogie and i decided to take it home with me. It sounds killer, just think ala Ratt or Whitesnake and you have it. It is just a 1987x reissue with the splawn mod and is like this one.
    This space for rent

Re: Marshall Splawn 1987xl- I bought one.

i brought my 1987xl to scott a year or so ago for modding - it's awesome!
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

How different will it sound with the KT88 mod. BTW, I only paid $850 for it from work. pretty good deal.
      This space for rent

Comment

Have one also. Mine has KT-88's and also a different mod. I have HI/LO and OD1/OD2 plus solo boost. I had to run 5751's in the pre cause it just had too much gain. Really. The 5751's calm it down a bit.
        Splawns are killer! Congrats Bro. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I briefly had a 1987x w/o fx loop. What does splawn do different than a master volume mod? I wish I hadn't sold it. Aside from no MV, it was a godlike amp at volume.

I think it was like Priest's point of entry tone when cranked.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

what does he do different? Adds gain!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              what does he do different? Adds gain!

[/ QUOTE ]

No sh!t ! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Does he add a tube to the preamp, or do some diode clipping overdrive like a tubecreamer in there? Does he add other stuff like a tube driven effects loop?

I was wondering if the classic 'splawn mod' was really that much work, or was a typical MV mod with 'Splawn mojo'

Thanks on the comment though, no doubt the users comment on massive gain increases [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I don't know what he does but aside from not haveing a clean channel it sounds better than my 5150. Quieter too. I love it.
                This space for rent

Comment

"I don't know what he does but aside from not haveing a clean channel it sounds better than my 5150. Quieter too. I love it. "
                  how much gain does it have? anywhere near 5150 lead channel gain at noon levels?

Comment

Working...
                  X