Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stilettos for $850 at GC!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I went to San Marcos GC last night and the Deuce was green tagged for $850. What's making me think twice is that all the reviews I've read is pointing out that this is not a high gain amp!
    BUT...one of the reviews on HC is saying that he had it modded at the Mesa store in hollywood for $60. The mod adds more gain to the TITE and FLUID settings and also remove the flubbiness from the FLUID DRIVE. Now, he swears by it.
    Does anyone know if this mod is true? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let anybody fool you. The Stiletto is a high gain amp. My bandmate uses one straight up and it has plenty of gain for metal. It doesn't have as much gain as a 5150 but then again most 5150 players set their gain at around 6. You need to turn the gain on the Stiletto up around 8-9 to get the same amount of gain. Thats plenty bro.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I went to San Marcos GC last night and the Deuce was green tagged for $850. What's making me think twice is that all the reviews I've read is pointing out that this is not a high gain amp!
      BUT...one of the reviews on HC is saying that he had it modded at the Mesa store in hollywood for $60. The mod adds more gain to the TITE and FLUID settings and also remove the flubbiness from the FLUID DRIVE. Now, he swears by it.
      Does anyone know if this mod is true? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let anybody fool you. The Stiletto is a high gain amp. My bandmate uses one straight up and it has plenty of gain for metal. It doesn't have as much gain as a 5150 but then again most 5150 players set their gain at around 6. You need to turn the gain on the Stiletto up around 8-9 to get the same amount of gain. Thats plenty bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I guess tone really is subjective or each head has a tone of it's own? My duece had plenty of gain to handle 80's metal and newer stuff like Godsmack. Maybe not for Shadowsfall or Lamb of God though. It sounded like enough gain to me, but then again, gain is subjective. I even consider myself a gain freak. I like tons of gain even when it's not called for. I still miss my rectifier, but I love the Stiletto. I can't imagine what kind of monster it would be with something pushing it up front.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Jim, throw a good TS9 tube screamer in front of it. I did that with my Soldano at the recording studio and a crowd gathered around the studio monitors because it sounded so good. The tone didn't change much. Just the amount of gain and the fatness. It made the Soldano sound like it was playing through 2 full stacks cranked. I was only using an SM57 and the Mesa Boogie 3/4 back cab with 1 90w Black Shadow in it!!

Comment

Jim, a compressor in front of that amp in the tite gain setting is like adding a higher gain lead channel. Give it a try.

Comment

The guitar p/u seems to make a huge diff.

(all eq's straight up, Marshall 4x12 with 75w Celestions)

750xl loaded with Rio Grande Crunchbox/Punchbox and Guitar Electronics boost circuit = Freight train.
            CH1 Fat clean: Nice and sparkly with plenty of depth - amp vol needs pushed to match CH2 levels.
            CH2 Tite Gain: Clear and punchy with tight lows and crisp highs. Classic modded Marshally to Mesa MkIII (Ch2)
            CH2 Fluid Gain: Thicker and more complex tone, like Mesa MkIII lead channel. Push it too hard and it turns to mud, like most Mesas. Gonna take a while to dial this in (like most Mesas, lol).

88LE with Tone Zone and J1000 boost circuit = Shred City
            CH2 Tite Gain: Awesome lead tone - fluid but clear. Harmonics just leap out, sweeps are smooth AND defined. I didn't want to stop playing this combo, it made me sound good... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That's it for now. I might get to the APC loaded Roswell this weekend if I can put down the '88LE. I am gonna be on the road for March and won't be able to to any serious dialing or clips until mid-April.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I just purchased a trident, got it for $945 after taxes. I will probaly end up throwing it on ebay or eventually passing it along here to someone for a good price, but just too good of a deal to pass up for now. Great 80's JCM sound when EQ'd right.

I found with these amps, like with old JCM 800's for some reason they sound better with the celestion 75 speakers.

The guitar center here in seven corners only has a duece left, but it is blowing fuses left and right and that is why i ended up with the trident. I got all the paper work and head cover etc.. unfortunaly they had non left in the box.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I found with these amps, like with old JCM 800's for some reason they sound better with the celestion 75 speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more Sig. I still haven't tried it with my mesa half back (v30s and c90s), but I have a feeling that there is only one way to go with this head and thats with Cel 75s.

And I do plan on fooling around with something up front. A TS9 sounds like the way to go, but I can see where a compressor would help out as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more Sig. I still haven't tried it with my mesa half back (v30s and c90s), but I have a feeling that there is only one way to go with this head and thats with Cel 75s.

And I do plan on fooling around with something up front. A TS9 sounds like the way to go, but I can see where a compressor would help out as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put my TS9 in front, going through my 1980's marshall JCM800B cab with 75's and all i can say is holy shit, pure metal mania and enough gain for the pickest person.

Comment

nor, thank you pointing out the Mesa sale to the rest of us [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I have a Dual Rectifier myself but I told a friend about the sale and last night we went to GC in Cleveland where he scored a Stiletto Trident. We plugged in first and tried it out in the store, great sounding amp and for the price you just can't beat it! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Once again thanks to the JCF for passing along the cool info on this sale!

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

800 bucks??? That´s like a quarter of what they cost over here... cripes it´s be cheaper to buy the amp stateside, have the PT replaced by a tech and pay customs and shipping..

Comment

Hollywood Mod NO LONGER AVAILABLE...

The Hollywood store has recieved a cease-n-desist from Corporate. The factory will under no circumstances mod any Stilettos Series I's. Apparently they don't want anyone getting close to a Series II for $800 less.

Series II has a different board and transformer. Seeing as how the Hollywood Mod was originally only $60, it can't be more than a couple of caps and/or resistors. Enterprising individuals are currently investigating...
                        [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Re: Hollywood Mod NO LONGER AVAILABLE...

The Hollywood mod has to be upping the Series I to match the Series II... Otherwise, why would they order 'em to stop?

Comment

Sam, how did it sound with the G-Benz? did you get a chance to try it yet?
                            I think I'll get one which is better trident or deuce and what is the differance other than watts of course?

Comment

I haven't tried it yet. I've been out of work sick, but I;ve been moving my gear around and I'm in the process of settin up my guitar/music room. I should be able to try it out this week. I want to see if the GB is going o cut it or if I will go to a Marshall Slash cab that Wayne has.

THe deuce is 100 watts switchable down to 50 watts (per channel) The Trident is 150 watts switchable down to 50 watts. I can't ever see need 150 watts for my needs. The Deuce is plenty for my needs, but thats up to you.

Comment

"800 bucks??? That´s like a quarter of what they cost over here... cripes it´s be cheaper to buy the amp stateside, have the PT replaced by a tech and pay customs and shipping.. "

yeah, it's insane. knowing my taste in guitar tones, i assume i'd already own one of these - for $800 you can't possibly go wrong.

btw, a guy over at another board said it's possible to set it up with 2 distorted channels by switching the ch1 clean to crunch mode and slamming the front with a tubescreamer...instant 80's thrash metal, plus you got another channel for leads. pretty much exactly how i use my 5150 right now.
                                DAMMIT [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X