Good power amp for a POD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good power amp for a POD?

Just wondering what I could use for a good power amp. I don't have the POD, I have the Spider II. It's a pretty killer little amp, it just can't get as loud as I need it to and still sound good. I wanted to use the headphone out into a power amp of some sort, I just don't know what would be the best. I've also thought of buying an extension cab for it, but I'm pretty sure it's the amp itself clipping and not the speakers. Great sounds, just not so great when cranked up.

Are there any loud, cheap SS amps for this? I'll even buy a Randall if it sounds okay! Just need to kick my volume up...

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Good power amp for a POD?

I've used a pair of Tech21 Power Engine 60s for a couple years. Sounds killer. I recently went back to "real" amps & cabs. Now the PE60s sit there idle, sold the Pod....

Comment

Atomic amps are designed to work with te POD.
      Adds some tube sag and warmpth.
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Crate PowerBlock
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Tech 21 Power Engine 400 is plenty loud and very transparent with a Pod...doesn't compress the tone like a tube poweramp. Very good match. You can run it at 8 ohms, too, and stereo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Atomic amps are designed to work with te POD.
            Adds some tube sag and warmpth.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i use with my podXT...an Atomic 1x12. i just use it for practice and low to medium volume but it sure brings life to the pod!!

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

+1 Crate Powerblock. Sounds damn good with a Bad Monkey overdrive in front of it too. I am very tempted to try gigging with it.

Comment

Alesis RA-100. Absolutely transparent, quiet as hell, loud enough, you can run in stereo if you want, and you can get them all day for arouns $100. I used one with my POD Pro for a number of years. Worked perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X