Peavey 6505+ noise... Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505+ noise... Is this normal?

I know that these amps are noisy, but I think something is seriously wrong with mine. I purchased one brand new from a local dealer and while playing it in the store and for a few hours at home that day, the amp was hissing (which I guess is normal) a bit, but nothing too bad. Well, that same night I had a gig so I brought it. Powered it up, and the thing was humming/buzzing (in addition to the hiss) very loudly. I made it through somehow, but on a video taken from about 50 ft away, you could hear it (if I didn't click off the crunch button) between songs. Needless to say, I was a bit pissed. I had to use the rhythm channel because it was even more noticeable on the lead channel. My question to all 5150/6505 owners is that is this normal? I haven't played one in many years prior to buying this one, and I don't remember it being like that.

Today, I've been screwing around with different cords, preamp tubes, outlets, guitars, speaker cables, you name it, and it still continues. When the amp is on standby, you can hear it buzzing/humming faintly if you put your ear near the back of the amp. What gives? Is this thing a lemon? I plan on taking it in for service (of course, this store doesn't offer refunds), but I'm curious what kind of noise is expected with this head. I do love the tone (aside from the noise)... the amp kills. Any advice, comments, or help is appreciated.

To give you an idea of what the noise is like, think about the electronic hum/buzz you can hear faintly on the SRV recording of Little Wing. Mine is louder though...

Re: Peavey 6505+ noise... Is this normal?

dont have that problem with my 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Have you tried a noise supressor? Or is it a different type of noise? Can you hear the noise when you mute your strings?
      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

If there is no vloume drop out...It sounds like a microphonic or just plain noisey pre amp tube.

I wouldn't run one of these amps without a noise suppressor though.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Where are you running the gain at?

At some of the places I've played at the power isn't very clean or just simply not grounded properly so at higher volumes you'll get a lot more noise. There is a certain amount of hiss in when your pushing the gain a lot and running at higher volumes, but if you want to tame that (and get your amp to sound like it isn't even on when you're not playing) throw a noise gate in the loop.

Comment

Fortunately, I had a noise gate (which I purchased along with the amp) during the show, but it didn't help much. The gate seemed to quell the hiss, but the hum/buzz was still there.

Also, I swapped out all six preamp tubes (I had a bunch of new ones).

What kind of noise is normal for this amp? Is it just the hissing that sounds like wind or is some amount of hum/buzz normal? The noise does increase as I turn the gain up, becoming pronounced at about 4 or 5 with the crunch button engaged. I didn't notice anything at the store. On the lead channel, I had the gain on about 5.5, which was plenty.

As far as volume, the amp shakes my house on 3. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes but with a power tube problem you might have the volume drop down...You mention that "wind noise"...The only time I had an amp do that was when I had a bad power tube.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

With the volume cranked up pretty loud and the gain around noon or higher on the high gain channel (or crunch channel) of 5150/5150II/6505/6505+ you'll probably hear some quiet white noise (the "wind" example is pretty dead on) unless you're running a noise gate in the loop.

The humming / buzzing shouldn't be in there at all. Are you sure your guitar is properly grounded and your outlets are wired right?

Comment

Right , the humming /buzzing shouldn't be there. I can turn the gain to 10 with the crunch in on my 5150 combo and I don't get any hum at all.
                  Sounds like ypu've got a problem somewhere.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

it may be a ground loop problem. check your grounds

Comment

Yeah, I've already talked to the dealer, they are gonna check it out for me. Something isn't right... I've tried everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X