Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar Cabs..Anyone here have One?

I want to grab a 4X12 cab for my B-52 combo and
    my 5150 combo and I want either Vintage 30's or 25 watt Greenbacks.
    these guys seem to have good prices, any one here have any experience with them.
    I'm also interest in the cabs that they mix the Celestions in.
    any one here try that? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    I'm looking for old school tone. the B-52 speakers sound
    good , but they are 120 watt speakers so I have to crank
    the f'n thing to get any speaker break up.
    Same thing with the sheffields in the 5150. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Avatar Cabs..Anyone here have One?

I have an eminence-loaded one. Can't tell you anything as far as those speaker choices but they're nice cabs. They have really good bass response too, which is kind of surprising because they're very shallow and kind of small dimension-wise.

Comment

G12H30's are another great low wattage speaker. I have an Avatar 2X12 and love it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        the B-52 speakers sound

[/ QUOTE ]
        You do realize that it can handle up to 120 watts from an amp, right? You should be getting the distortion out of your amp and not relying on the sound of speaker break-up.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an avatar 2x12 that I got from a member here lonnng ago that i have YET to plug into yet...why u ask? No amp head to plug into it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...789#Post662789

Git r done! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              the B-52 speakers sound

[/ QUOTE ]
              You do realize that it can handle up to 120 watts from an amp, right? You should be getting the distortion out of your amp and not relying on the sound of speaker break-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I know, but when I first tried the B-52 out at GC they
              had a Marshall cab loaded with V30's and it sounded
              (to me anyway) better at lower volumes than it does with
              the B-52 speakers. And the tone was closee to what I'm looking for when I cranked it up.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                the B-52 speakers sound

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the B-52 speakers. And the tone was closee to what I'm looking for when I cranked it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can still get distortion from the speakers, will give him that much more of an edge. Also some of us prefer not to crank the gain and get the speaker distortion as well as mid gain from the amp, very old school style like he wants. Back in the day that is how they got high gain since the amps did not have that much gain, they would push the speakers till they broke up, even older school was punk groups would take knives and slit there speaker cones up to get that much more, the downside to this was absolutly NO cleans.

In this day and age there is so much pre-amp distortion that most people do not need to do this, however if you really want that old old school warm distortion then it is the way to go

Now as to the marshall vs b52 cab, huge difference and it is not speaker break up that you liked. Basically the V30's just have alot warner sound then the B52 cabinet, i actually found that cabinet very sterile sounding and when i test drove one i used a Mesa Vintage Recto cab and the amp sounding really good.

So the difference between the V30's and the greenbacks are as follow, the greenbacks have more midrange, smoother top but lack bottem end. Where the V30's are a little more shrill at the top, little less midrange and a great bottem end. Also with the greenbacks you will get breakup alot soonner then the V30's, as the greenbacks are rated at 25 watts each and the V30's are rated at 60 watts each.

My suggestion to you is to try the G12H which is a mix between the V30's and the Greenbacks and each speaker is rated at 30 watts each which will give you early breakup. Here is Celestions website http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=7

Comment

Thanks Siggy, that pretty much explains what I'm looking for.
                  I've seen the G12H 's around but I haven't heard them.
                  going to need to check them out.
                  Maybe a cab with 2 of those and one V30 and one Greenback?
                  or 2 G12H's and 2 greenbacks
                  Mix it up a little [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Thanks Siggy, that pretty much explains what I'm looking for.
                    I've seen the G12H 's around but I haven't heard them.
                    going to need to check them out.
                    Maybe a cab with 2 of those and one V30 and one Greenback?
                    or 2 G12H's and 2 greenbacks
                    Mix it up a little [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of people usually mix the V30's with the G12H's and it sounds great. It also gives you the option of which speaker you want to Mic up, if you are in a V30 Mood you just MIC one of them up, but if you are more into a little smoother but not as much bottem end then you MIC up the G12H.

Comment

the v30 + g12h30 combo is a great one, IMO

I'm intrigued by those new fancy-pants avatar 2x12s, anyone tried one of those?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        the B-52 speakers sound

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He can still get distortion from the speakers, will give him that much more of an edge. Also some of us prefer not to crank the gain and get the speaker distortion as well as mid gain from the amp, very old school style like he wants. Back in the day that is how they got high gain since the amps did not have that much gain, they would push the speakers till they broke up, even older school was punk groups would take knives and slit there speaker cones up to get that much more, the downside to this was absolutly NO cleans.

In this day and age there is so much pre-amp distortion that most people do not need to do this, however if you really want that old old school warm distortion then it is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Yeah, you do make a very good point.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I got a Avatar 2x12 with 1 V30 and 1 g12h30.
                          I use it with my JCM800 2204 MK11 lead in 4 ohm with a THD
                          4 Ohm hotplate.
                          I found the Avatar people to be Friendly, Knowledgeable and quick to ship.
                          I got my cab within 4 days. My friend at work got his bass
                          cab in 3 days. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X