a good single coil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a good single coil...

I'm looking out for a new single coil to go into the neck position of my strat. I'm looking for something that sounds great when used clean but also good when played with some gain. I like the sound of the YJM single coils, but i don't know of anyone in the UK that sells them. could you guys recommend anything?

by the way, it has to be hum cancelling
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: a good single coil...

YJM is great, so is the HS-3. i use both and am happy with both.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

lil 59
      jbjr
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Although the LIL 59 and JB Junior do sound good, i'm going for a single coil that has the characteristics of a single coil but with just a bit more output and cancels out hum.
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

HS3 or YJM do EXACTLY what you are looking for. maybe even an HS2 if you want a little less output.

i think di'marzio dominates that market. another pickup to look into, but i have never used, is the "virtual vintage" single coils. i have a friend that is a big strat player and he loves the "virtual vintage heavy blues" pick up. he mixes that in with the HS pickups.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Seymour Duncan Cool Rail
            Evans Eliminator
            Fender Red Lace Sensor

Comment

I've heard good things about the Fender Hot Noiseless and Vintage Noiseless

Comment

I'm in the same market, I've read good things about the new Jeff Beck pups. As stated above, the Fender hot noiseless.
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Regarding the Vintage Noiseless.. its too low output. Its a great stock sounding silent strat single coil though. The JB sounds too much like a humbucker because it is a humbucker.
                  The Red Lace Sensor is very hot and still sounds like a single coil. The Seymour Duncan staggered pole 1/4 Pounder is another great single but its noisy under high gain conditions.

Comment

The two single coils I have used in the neck position are either the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage or Dimarzio Fast Track. At one time I had Duncan Hot Rails in the middle and neck positions but they were way too muddy and got yanked out in about 30 minutes.

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

DiMarzio HS series. Either a 1, 2 or a 3.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The HS3 and YJM are by far my favorite single coil pickups.
                        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

It's called a P90, check it out!

Comment

Working...
                          X