Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good combo amp

Hey Guys,

I'm auditioning for a band this weekend. I need a good combo amp, loud enough to be heard over a drummer, portable, reliable and gives great hard rock/metal tones. I know there are a lot of good tube amps out there, but I'm actually looking to stay solid state to keep costs down and if it takes a few bumps and bruises on the way to rehearsals, it won't bother me much.

Thanks in advance

Re: Need a good combo amp

Roland JC-120! What you say? Best neutral clean sounding, loud, solid state amp made. Want distortion, metal/hard rock sounds, put your pedals into it or use the effects loop and rock out. The combo is very rugged and dependable. When you want to go clean or play an electric acoustic through it, there is no need for one of those fancy "acoustic amps".
    Also I might add there is a "Distortion" control on the amp. It's not the type distortion we all think of. It's a control that simulates the "break-up" effect of a tube amp. As an example, I have a Fender Custom Vibrolux that starts breaking up and getting dirty at 4 on the volume. With the JC-120, you can add in the break up at any volume. Best all around combo made in my opinion. If you can find an older one, they were made in the USA.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Laney AOR 50 with a sealed 1x12 cabinet.

Comment

Never mind - it's tube.

Comment

Check out Peavey amps. Most stores have a ton of them. Their transtube series have great clean and heavy channels, their cheap and they last forever.

Comment

I copied and pasted your recommendation on HCAF LOL!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1169823

Comment

Marshall MG100DFX. 2 channels and a couple of effects in it. I run mine with amy Korg 1500 pedal board and it works well.
              www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

these are solid state but.........

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=SX

there's even a 3 channel that looks tempting

Comment

Hated the MG's myself, I think Rogue competes with them well. No offense, Speiro, to each his own.

I'll second the Peavey's. The distortion they come with is pretty good, I get closer to my sound from a stomp box though. I would stay away from the XXL's though. I tried them in a shop once and they were really buzzy and shitty sounding I thought. That's all the experience I've had with those ones. I'll fight and die by Bandits as practice/jamming amps. Can't turn them up past half volume, but that's about all you need. Fuckin' loud at that level anyway.

I might also add that putting your amp up on a crate or something helps to keep a tighter sound at higher volumes. My spider II 2x10 combo was sounding really mushy at practice the last couple of weeks (about half volume). I found a couple of toolboxes to put it up on and a lot of the fart sound went away. If you're looking for a lot of sounds, I'd recommend this amp. I think it's just barely loud enough for our band. The Peavey would probably hold up better volume-wise, so I'd take that if you only need a couple of sounds.

Hope that helps you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Marshall MG100DFX.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys. The other guitar player actually has a Marshall Valvestate stack that I can borrow to get thru the audition. I'll keep my eyes open for those Roland & Peavey combos. I actually had a Marshall MG50dfx a while back, but sold it and don't miss it at all.

Comment

A Tech21 Trademark 120 will do metal.

Comment

How far down do you want to keep the costs? How about a Vetta or V-Ampire? I'd think it would be tough to beat the Vetta for solid state hard rock tones and the rack version of the Behringer has very good heavy tones though I've not tried the combo. IIRC Tony (Subvamp) is a V-Ampire user, maybe he'll comment.
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I have a ampeg vh-140c that plays clean and crushing heavy tones that I'm gonna sell. Let Me know if Your interested
                              Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Working...
                              X