Affordable Tube Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Tube Amp

hey guys, i am shopping for an affordable tube amp. looking for somethin like a 2x12 cab and around 400.00 or so. any ideas???

Re: Affordable Tube Amp

Weird thing is, i love tube amps, but have never found a combo I really liked. I love 5150 heads, hate the combo...

What are your plans with this amp? Volume levels etc? Music style?

Comment

well i'm a drummer turned guitar addict, espicially the jacksons and charvels. so mostly use at home just jamming by myself. i dont need alot of volume, but i want it to be there if i ever go jam with a band. my style is mostly hair bands, southern rock, classic rock, and a little metal. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

5150 sounds perfect for you!

Comment

yeah 5150 combo, its actually pretty good. I have a 5150, played the combo and loved it. its got reverb! yipeee

Comment

carvin mts 3200
            carvin legacy
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I like old Laney AORs!

Comment

It would definitly have to be Used and probably an off brand. I don't know whats out there at that price range. Peavey ,Crate ,Laney ect. 30 Watts would be enough power and or 50 watts if you need the extra headroom. Cab with 2x12 or 4x12 can be found at pawn shops cheap.

Comment

Your best bet would be a Peavey. If new prices are out of your range, an old `80s Peavey tube combo will be the most affordable, or maybe a `90s Peavey Ultra. I'm not sure what the combo equivalent of the old VTM heads would be, but that might be a good direction to check out.
                  sigpic

Comment

A good used 5150 head ..maybe that new Valve king may be worthy checking out..Inazone mentioned a couple of older decent peaveys..

I also don't like combos..not for a "band" anywhoo..practicing in my bedroom is fine tho..

I need a minimum of a half stack at all times!

My thoughts..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think you can find used ampegs in that range, even some vintage ones. Put a pedal or two in front and those will rock. Peavey Classic series amps are pretty cool too.

Comment

The Peavey classic is pictured on the first Tony MacAlpine album.."edge of Sanity".. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Laney GH50L?
                          Laney Pro Tube

They're pretty cheap and considered some of the best tube amps about.
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Your not going to find a 5150 for $400.00

Look at the Carvin MTS3200 2 x 12 combo. The actual part # is MTS3212.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Your not going to find a 5150 for $400.00

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I was wondering about that too! If someone can point me to a 5150 for $400, I have the cash LOL!

I almost bought one on HCAF for $600, but I didn't know if it was a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X