Amp Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Suggestions?

I am currently looking for a new head. I have a rack system but I like the plug and play simplcity of a good head. I recently parted ways with a Stiletto...it sounded great and I may actually grab another one since they are being sold stupidly cheap at GC right now. But, I would prefer 3 channels and would like to check some other rigs out first.
    Some of my favorite albums for tone are:
    VH II and Fair Warning
    Dokken Under Lock and Key
    Ratt Invasion of Your Privacy
    TNT Tell no Tales
    Extreme first album and Waiting for the Punchline

I would prefer the versatility of three channels but could get by with two depending on the dynamic response of the amp.
    Any suggestions from you guys?

Re: Amp Suggestions?

3 old marshall heads [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] hehheh

how much are you looking to spend?
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Money is no object in this case but 1.5 - 4K would be an approximate range.

Comment

Try an H & K Duotone head. It's 2 channels but, has 2 modes to each channel (footswitchable). The Triamp MKII is cool too but, I think the Duotone is more hot rodded Marshally. If you don't mind TWEAKING... a Bogner Ecstacy 101B (with class A/AB switch).
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Dude..Uberschall..I can nail that stuff ..or go flick of the switch AC/DC...or go total Iced Earth or Nevermore..or VH!!

whoever says a Uberschall is not "versatile" head..never owned one..

I heard no other amp head better IMO..None...nada..zip...PERIOD! [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

It can go from classic VH to Total Death metal...whatever you want...it can do it very well! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It still can't do what my CAE3+se does, bizatch...

Comment

I would have to say yeah..because the instant access of different tones and sounds due to a midi rack..but this fugger is BRUTAL..but it can be tamed..very tame..but I don't play it that way..so there ya go..

But for a grab and go head..fuggin' Uber..all the way..

I think John can concure with that! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

How would Uber be in a live setting where I would need a clean, dirty, and lead tone...sometimes all in the same tune?

Comment

I own both the uber and the XTC, and for what you are looking for the XTC is the trick out of the two. Yes you can tame the uber, but it is two channels and unless you want to use some stomps then you are pretty much left with a good clean and and a distortion channel.

I have also played the tri-amp, and i tell you now that is more of the amp for you, perfect 80's shred monster, great rythems and more options then you can imagine. You can even get some awesome heavy sounds with it, the guy from coal chamber used it and he had a great heavy rythem sound.

I remember reading a few issues with them, but then again it was by a gigging musican and who knows how well he treated his equiptment. My suggestions with any amp, is always have a fan blowing on the back, keeps them cool, remember heat is the number 1 killer of electronics without physically touching (static electricity is actually worse).

Comment

PS-If you do like brutal distortion every now and then, go with the uber. Ranking in order of light gain to heavy gain it kinda goes like this.
                    XTC-Gets you to a great point, to much gain for alot of 80's stuff, but i love using the boost function. For rythem i have the boost off, for soloing i just kick it on and more gain.

Tri-amp- Can pretty much do everything the XTC can, yet voiced different but close, and i dont believe it has the A/AB option. This amp can get pretty brutal distortion, but not as much as say a mesa rec or a uber. This amp has alot more options and voicings then all the other amps, or come to think of it almost any amp i know of.

The uber-can get down close to the XTC, not as good sounding at lower gains, but very passible. But this amp excels at tight distortion with a nice low end. Good thing about the Uber though is it is set up with a clean channel that just loves stomp boxes. You want more options with a uber pick up a Boss GT-6 or some other stomps in front. I will put my Line 6 distortion modular in front for more sounds.

Comment

Another good and cheap suggestion would be the peavey 5150-II. You can footswitch between clean and crunch on the first channel, of course you have to keep the gain up so with clean you have to roll back the volume. And then for good leads and more rythem you have the second channel.

Comment

Fuchs make a 3 channel amp& will voice anyway you want. I haven't tried one but I have a mod and his 2 channel amps cover a lot of sounds.

Comment

Yeah..I agree with all JG posts..spot on..

a 5150II sounds like the ticket..especially for the money..that would be the cheapest way out.. best bang for the buck man!!

Yes, The XTC would be better for 80's metal/shred..

You can get a great crunchy tone with the XTC for that style..if you wanted a more "brutal" modern sound...like Iced Earth, Nevermore..Uberschall..

I play Power/death/thrash/with a hint of black metal..so the uber suites me perfect!

It's cool to know I can get a AC/DC..VH tone too..but I don't tweaked it that way for doing my thing.

If I want old Savatage/VH/Dokken/Ratt and etc..I got my Marshall rack..it does that nicely.

Comment

Rivera KR100, 3 channel, very versatile!!!!
                            I love admins!

Comment

VHT CL/UL/CLX are some others to consider

[/recently converted VHT fanboy]

Comment

Working...
                              X