Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me if this combination would sound ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me if this combination would sound ok?

Yngwie sounds pretty good thru his Rhino amps too
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Actually think im gonna buy that crate SS half stack, because of shipping fees and etc, and this is the cheapest for me right now so I can focus more on finding a Kelly.. Since the place im getting the crate SS from has free shipping, and its only like 700 no taxs

I'll let my pod do the rest of the work, and hope it works for now until I have abit more cash to dish out in the future =/

Comment

plus the guy who was gonna sell me the bv120 was really concerned about shipping fees and I don't blame him

Comment

I think this post wold have been better to say I have "X" amount of money what would you recommend. And to point out "pros" gear as having the sound that you want is ludicrous. They have 10X the resources available. There is much more to sound than a badge on a head/cab/gear. I'm sure all of us have seen a 50W Marshall/DOD distortion pedal that just blew us away. Was it that the DOD distortion pedal the "magic" in the combination? Nope! When you look at the "guts" inside the head it is something from a Frankenstein movie. Hmmmmmm...... what happened in there? HOLY HOTWIRE BATMAN!!! The tubes are melting!! (only kidding, but you get the visual)

Sound sound sound... there are so many varables......

In other words..... get the best sound that you can get for the $$$. Get a bunch of info and try them out. I can tell you that my Laney is the best damn thing in the world. You might buy one and it sounds like shit to you. we have all bought gear and been disappointed in that it sounded different than the other guys. I have had a wall of Marshall's of all ages and still would prefer my half Laney/Marshall stack to all of it. I miss my OBL single coil pick-up too!! That was a HOT ROD!! damn.......

Anyways JMHO!!!

Later..

Comment

That totally proves why these people shouldnt just say in every post "Get a 5150" because everyone has different opinions of amps.. like a 5150 might sound good to you, but sounds like shit to me.. and I tried a blue voodoo and I liked it, unfortunately I will have to wait and just buy a cheap halfstack for now.. Afterall, its the guitar that makes the magic, as I usually dont even use an amp, just my guitar + pod and it sounds great.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              actually the WHOLE POINT of this thread was to suggest what combination there would sound best, not to suggest just to buy a 5150 every post. You guys are like the dudes on the Megadeth boards, "Buy a Dv8 or you will always have a shit guitar" lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats crap Nick. You are getting advice from guys who actually play live and have had all of these amps. The advice is good. If you choose not to take it... well.. thats your deal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                That totally proves why these people shouldnt just say in every post "Get a 5150" because everyone has different opinions of amps.. like a 5150 might sound good to you, but sounds like shit to me.. and I tried a blue voodoo and I liked it, unfortunately I will have to wait and just buy a cheap halfstack for now.. Afterall, its the guitar that makes the magic, as I usually dont even use an amp, just my guitar + pod and it sounds great.

[/ QUOTE ]
                1. Go back and reread my post. My main point was about reliability, not tone. Even though there are people that have had good luck with this head, a nearly 50% service rate on the units that my store sold is atrocious. My amp tech (head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Penn State University, and a consultant to many major amp manufacturers including Fender and Mesa/Boogie) confirmed that it is a very poorly built head and uses cheap, shitty components. You are getting info from seasoned pros and you should pay attention. I can only wish that I would have had this kind of help when I was finding my way early on.
                2. As for the guitar making the magic...very untrue. Guitar, amp, and player are all important...BUT...a great guitar will most likely sound shitty through a bad amp, but bad guitar can frequently sound great through a good amp.

Comment

Yeah, the 5150 pops up cuz it is reliable as hell. Mine got ejected from a car flew 45 feet and STILL WORKED FINE! haha..

Theyre basically the cheapest amp that kills right out of the box.

Not like we're on a quest o make everyone own them. There are plenty of better amps, but they're more expensive.

5150 = pretty cheap, reliable, plentiful, and crunches good metal sound easily right out of the box. Not a lotta amps are quite there.

I wish I could tell you the amp you want kicks ass, good choice, yeah!!! bitchin dude... But in all honesty, there are other amps that are a bit better for a comparable price or slightly more.

Comment

"Yeah, the 5150 pops up cuz it is reliable as hell. Mine got ejected from a car flew 45 feet and STILL WORKED FINE! haha.."

Yeah I can Vouch for that..I think that was the one I sold John..banged the hell up and still played like new..

when it was ejected from John hatchback..it just didn't "slide" down the street it rolled , tumbled, crashed and burned! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Zeegs, maybe you know that BBE/Crate match better than I then..We demoed it at a "Music store" level..not the volume level the amp would be in a band...the 422 series are much more warmer units and "musical"..the newer units...462, 482..yeah they sound VERY sizzly to my ears...pretty crappy!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Zeegs, maybe you know that BBE/Crate match better than I then..We demoed it at a "Music store" level..not the volume level the amp would be in a band...the 422 series are much more warmer units and "musical"..the newer units...462, 482..yeah they sound VERY sizzly to my ears...pretty crappy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in all fairness, I only had the thing hooked up for ten minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have a 422 by the way.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, BBEs make many amps sound horrid. Some they work magik on. 5150 is about the only one I've found tho, haha. And I still hear 5150s that sounds just awesoem without them.

Sometimes I had to think the BBEs were like drugs, you "think" you sound better on them... haha... But you really don't. hehe...

Comment

does Music Go Round ship to Canada? anyone?

Comment

whether the 5150 / BBE may be a perception or illusion...or a some sonic placebo..

I like a 5150 BETTER with it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You know immediately if you like a BBE in the loop with any amp..it'll let ya know..either it will sound like total crap or pretty cool..it's a coin toss.

More often than not MOST amps I've paired them with don't like them..but some sure seem to. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Blue Voodoos are garbage, sound like shit, and fall apart when you look at them sideways.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea? Geez, thanks for the heads-up Zeegs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

If your budget won't allow for a new Blue Voodoo, then do yourself a favor and either buy a used tube amp or an inexpensive new tube amp like a ValveKing. I know my fair share of gigging guitarists who use Crate solid state heads live...and sound TERRIBLE. The distortion gets fizzy at high volumes, and it is impossible to get a balanced, "cutting" tone. Peavey, Marshall, Randall and H&K all have made solid state amps capable of sounding great in a band setting, so it's not just a tube vs. solid state issue. I actually sold an my old `80s Peavey practice amp to a guy who wanted it for his live rig, simply because the tone was consistent from bedroom volume all the way to stage volume.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X