peavey >> marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: peavey >> marshall

Well, guitars, pickups, and the way you eq has alot to do with tone, as well as speaker cabinets you use. I have no doubt the 5150 is thicker, but the marshall should have more midrange, at least mine does over my 5150 unless i max the mid on the 5150. I also own a JMP-1 that i run through a randall 50/50, one sides is EL34's and the other is 6L6's.

Comment

any brand >>>>any brand as long as {YOU} are happy with the sound of it. There is no greater than, other that what you and only you think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Tonal happiness seems like something that very few achieve - hence GAS! But I'm glad you are happy with your 5150 again! By the way, if you get a chance, check out a Maxon OD808 - awesome for a boost on the crunch channel.

Comment

I don't think that Marshall has the most mids, Boogie Mark's have more IMHO, I get instantly Santana's lead tone with them wich is basically THE MID-RANGE-TONE
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

aldog, i haven't achieved tonal happiness, that's for sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] there's ALWAYS room for further improvement. let's just say that right now i'm as close to *my* tone as never before, which is a good thing.
            i don't have a maxon, but i used to use an ibanez TS as a boost...after lotsa comparisons i came to the conclusion that i prefer the sd1. but then again, ibanez not= maxon [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

shawn, you're soo right....tone is highly subjective, almost as subjective as women [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

siggy, we're both using 1960A/B fullstacks.
            the marshall might have more mids, but it didn't fill the room as much as the 5150 did. but then again, i haven't heared both the 5150 and the jcm800 at the same time....the jmp1 rack is not even in the same ballpark as the jcm800 as far as filling a room is concerned [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

To me, I just can't get the high-gain, modern brutal sound. I know you can, look at Nile, Zakk Wylde. But I can't get anywhere near that sound just plugged in straight w/out a boost or anything. I sometimes think the Marshall has too much harsh sounding mids, not very smooth.

Comment

that's the exact reason why they cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. all the harsh mids you're hearing when you're playing without a band disappear as soon as the whole band kicks in, and all that's left is clarity and punch.

"Calling a Soldano bright is a common misconception. If anything, I would consider my Soldano a little on the dark side. I had a Soldano Astroverb that was really bright.
                The most noticable thing about my Soldano is the clarity. It finds a way to sound heavy but with absolutely no mud. None at all. The 5150 loosens up as you crank it. Especially the bottom end. The Soldano tightens up like a Rectifier but without the scooped sizzle.
                I loved my 5150 but for me.. the Soldano is the sound I have been looking for. "
                is there any way to get a noticable volume boost for playing leads without having to add e.g. a g major? boosting the gain for leads is no problem because the OD would be placed in front of the amp, but i HATE the idea of having stuff in the FX loop, like a volume pedal or whatever....all the additional cables [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I had been running my 5150 combo just like Fragle, rhythm dimed
                  with crunch in,..........but NOW, someone suggested to me
                  over on the Peavey board to run an Eq in the loop and holy
                  shit [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img], did it bring this amp alive. Now I run
                  the lead channel with the pre gain at about 12:00- 1:00
                  oclock and with the EQ on it fattens up just like the rhythm channel with the crunch on ( but with the extra gain)

Now I can run the rhythm channel with the pre gain at 3 and use it as a clean chanel.
                  I put two low gain JJ's in V3 and V4 and now clean, it
                  actually sounds very nice.
                  Killed the hiss off of the Lead channel quite a bit too,
                  and note articulation seems to be clearer.

The more I play with this amp the more I love it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

You can't boost the volume on an already overdriven amp by putting a pedal in front of it. All the pedal does is add additional gain.. not volume. If you want volume, you put the pedal in the loop. The G-Major is smart!! All the presets are factory preset set at -6 db. When you plug it into your loop it causes your amp to have a -6db drop in volume so all you do is turn your amp up to get back to where you started. In order to get solo boost using the G-Major you just go into the patch and set the db at 0. This gives you a 6db solo boost which is plenty for any application. You can also channel switch 2 things using the G-Major. Just plug a patch cable from the back of the G-major into your amp. Now you can use the foot controller to change channels on your amp and change patches at the same time. Its the greatest thing since G-Strings.

Comment

yeah, i know that an OD pedal is gonna give me just that, more overdrive=gain. i was just wondering if there's any other way to boost the volume without having to deal with 60ft extra cables and without buying a g major? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

kmanick, rhythm channel gain DIMED? jeez....i run it at NOON with a boost (level full gain zero).
                      lead channel gain around noon is way more than i'll ever use. i'm not really a gain freak [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i normally use the lead channel gain around 10:00 MAXIMUM

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        yeah, i know that an OD pedal is gonna give me just that, more overdrive=gain. i was just wondering if there's any other way to boost the volume without having to deal with 60ft extra cables and without buying a g major? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

kmanick, rhythm channel gain DIMED? jeez....i run it at NOON with a boost (level full gain zero).
                        lead channel gain around noon is way more than i'll ever use. i'm not really a gain freak [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i normally use the lead channel gain around 10:00 MAXIMUM

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to do it in front of your amp is to dial the gain way down on the amp and use an overdrive pedal to bring the gain level back to where it was originally. That pedal stays on all the time. You then need a clean boost pedal.. a Tube Screamer with the gain dialed down and the level turned up works great. Put that pedal in between your overdrive pedal and the amp. Turn it on for solo boost.

Comment

I've got two 2 low gain JJ tubes in V3 and V4, that's why I can do it. When I had the stock Chinnese tubes in there I couldn't do it this way (not even close). I'm not a real gain freak either but with these 2 JJ's in V3 & V4 I can actually turn the gain up on the lead channel to about 2:00
                          before I start getting any real noise. (Of course the louder I turn up the post gain the more I have to roll back the pre gain, I mean it is still a 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I've got two 2 low gain JJ tubes in V3 and V4, that's why I can do it. When I had the stock Chinnese tubes in there I couldn't do it this way (not even close). I'm not a real gain freak either but with these 2 JJ's in V3 & V4 I can actually turn the gain up on the lead channel to about 2:00
                            before I start getting any real noise. (Of course the louder I turn up the post gain the more I have to roll back the pre gain, I mean it is still a 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

But is it enough of a boost? I would think its a 2-3db boost tops with alot of unwanted noise.
                            I feel a 6db boost is the minimum for solos for heavy music.

The best place to get solo boost on a 2 channel amp with an effects loop is a pedal or volume pedal in the loop.

Comment

I don't use a boost I use the volume on my control.
                              I'm not currently playing with a band either.
                              If I was playing with a band I would use the rhythm channel
                              as a rhythm channel and kick the EQ on and off when I
                              swithced to the lead channel. You can get a pretty good
                              boost off of the EQ pedal too (if you want to go that way)
                              that's what I use to do when I had my old Marshal JMP 45 head.
                              but regardless of boost the EQ in the loop just really brings the lead channel alive in this thing.
                              Now that I'm getting beter recorded sounds out of this thing I'll try to record something so you guys can hear it
                              and give me some opinions. (On tone , I know playing kind of sucks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) I need someone to host the Mp3's for me though.
                              Hopefully tonight the wife will let me do my thing and I can try to do a "Satch Boogie" recording (I've got really good backing tracks for all his stuff), or "Summer Song", or "War" or Yngwie's "Perpetual". I don't something, maybe "Red house"? some VH? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              Being a daddy really takes up way too much of my time... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I put two low gain JJ's in V3 and V4 and now clean, it
                                actually sounds very nice.
                                Killed the hiss off of the Lead channel quite a bit too,
                                and note articulation seems to be clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the JJ's still 12AX7's, or did you put in 12AY7's or 12AT7's? Just curious.
                                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X