peavey >> marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: peavey >> marshall

Fragle, do you have any effects in the loop at all? If not, why not get a Boss EQ or something similar, boost the gain on it some, and switch on the effects loop only for solos? All you need to run out front is the footswitch (which I assume you do anyways), and then use a couple short patches and leave the pedal on the top of your amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I put two low gain JJ's in V3 and V4 and now clean, it
      actually sounds very nice.
      Killed the hiss off of the Lead channel quite a bit too,
      and note articulation seems to be clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the JJ's still 12AX7's, or did you put in 12AY7's or 12AT7's? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

from eurotubves.com
      this is what I have in mine
      Peavey 5150 Combo Low Gain Option

DESC: For you guys who want to tame the gain a bit in these monsters.
      This includes a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's that will
      get the fixed bias where is should be, 3 ECC83S's with one
      of them balanced for the phase inverter in V5 & 2 ECC832's
      for V2 & V3.

Putting them in V3 & V4 cuts less gain than in V2 & V3.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        yeah, i know that an OD pedal is gonna give me just that, more overdrive=gain. i was just wondering if there's any other way to boost the volume without having to deal with 60ft extra cables and without buying a g major? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

kmanick, rhythm channel gain DIMED? jeez....i run it at NOON with a boost (level full gain zero).
        lead channel gain around noon is way more than i'll ever use. i'm not really a gain freak [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i normally use the lead channel gain around 10:00 MAXIMUM

[/ QUOTE ]
        Hey Fragle, I remember you saying that you used to not be able to get the Swedish Melo-Death tone. I just got a 5150, and I hooked it to my 1960, and tuned my KV w/ EMG's to C, and I hooked up the Ge-7 to the loop, and I couldn't get outta that Swedish tone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"Fragle, do you have any effects in the loop at all? If not, why not get a Boss EQ or something similar, boost the gain on it some, and switch on the effects loop only for solos? All you need to run out front is the footswitch (which I assume you do anyways), and then use a couple short patches and leave the pedal on the top of your amp. "
          i was refering to jgcable's soldano preamp as far as the solo boost is concerned. but to answer your question, no, i don't have anything in the loop, because i don't have to. i know the 5150 has a footswitchable loop (great thing if you ask me), but as i said i don't have to use it because i'm using the crunch channel boosted for rhythm playing, which gives me the lead channels gain and volume controls to adjust for my leads

orchid....what does it sound like without the ge-7? i found the EQ added a LOT of noise, plus i don't really like fiddling with EQ bands every time i switch over to a different venue....

Comment

Well I recorded something w/ my crappy mic. some of you might have heard it, I put it up on other forums but. I do not get any noise using the ge-7, but on your guys's 5150's, does it make a loud pop sound when you switch the effects on the footswitch? Also, after I turn the effects on, I get some static. Other than that, the eq greatly tightens my tone. Sorry, it's poor quality.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...N2F6AXPNQRNFQ0

Comment

I sometimes get the "Pop" when I turn the EQ on in the loop, but I don't get any static or additional noise.
              That clips sounds good, where'd you put the mike and how loud were you? (settings?)

Comment

Thanks for the reply, kmanick. The ECC833 is basically a 12AX7 while the ECC832 is equivalent to a 12DW7, according to the eurotubes.com site.
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I sometimes get the "Pop" when I turn the EQ on in the loop, but I don't get any static or additional noise.
                  That clips sounds good, where'd you put the mike and how loud were you? (settings?)

[/ QUOTE ]
                  About 3-4 feet away, couldn't reach it further [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Basically every thing at about 6, though the eq was basically everything in the middle, but I did cut out a bit of mids.

Comment

post gain at 6 too?
                    yikes that's really loud

Comment

no no no ahahah pregain at like 12 o'clock and postgain at like 2-2.5

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It really depends on the type of music you're playing. I've had a 5150 head, and a combo, and I'm not a huge fan of either one, especially the combo with the stock Sheffield speakers, they sound like ass. I liked them both, but I find them to be extremely harsh and bright no matter what you do with them. The best tone I got out of either of them, was the combo plugged into one of my old Marshall cabs with Blackbacks, but I couldn't get the same tone with the head, because they're different. They're good amps, but To say Peavey >> Marshall or any other brand is damn subjective. One of these days, if I find another one for 400.00 or so, I'll buy it because they're good for a few things, but for the most part, I'll stick with Marshall and Bogner. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

"!I find them to be extremely harsh and bright no matter what you do with them"
                            interesting...i found the 5150 to be rather on the dark side. i had to put in some bright preamp tubes esp in v1 in order to get out of almost mesa-ish darkness territory. maybe i'm just an 80s guy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"but To say Peavey >> Marshall or any other brand is damn subjective"
                            of course it is.....sure, the marshall kicks the 5150's ass as far as e.g. hard rock or rock in general are concerned, but for a balls out thrash metal rhyhtm tone i've yet to hear something better. if anyone can name an amp that does the thrash metal thing better than the 5150, PLEASE tell me, i'd love to check it out ASAP.

Comment

ENGL Fireball?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

been there, done that. too thin and scooped imo, even with the mids cranked

Comment

Working...
                                X